Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: How serious is a Pulmonary AV Fistula?

jennifer1580 - Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:52 pm

I was told today by my urologist that one of the reads from a contrast CT scan to look at my kidneys indicated that a "pulmonary AV fistula" was spotted at the bottom of one of my lungs (apparently it was just barely in the picture). The urologist couldn't tell me what this was, so I've been researching online. I have mixed feelings of the severity. Is this diagnosis a big deal? What should I do?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:50 am

User avatar Hello -- This is probably not a big concern, but a pulmonologist probably should be consulted just to be on the safe side. An AV fistula is an unnatural connection between an artery and a vein, and given the worst circumstances could cause some serious problems -- of which you'd likely be quite aware already. Since this one is at the bottom of a lung chances are it's pretty small and not causing much if any problem, so I wouldn't be especially worried about it, but I would at least have it checked, at least have the CT films run past a pulmonologist just to be certain there isn't any potential for future problems. My instinct is this is a really trivial issue, but we go on facts, so hopefully you'll get the opinion of either a pulmonary or vascular specialist.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.
 jennifer1580 - Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:57 pm

Thanks for the input! I will certainly follow-through with your suggestion. I'll make an appointment tomorrow with my PCP to get direction. I have already had the films sent to him, and he called last Monday asking me to come in as soon as I got through the urology issue. Like you, he didn't seem overly-concerned... more interested than anything else. I will be sure to let you know what I find out. Thank you again!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:58 pm

User avatar You're very welcome! Good deal, now please keep us updated as to what you find out. Good luck and stay in touch.

|