Question: 30yrs smoking chest pain

iconx - Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:39 am

This is a pretty obvious question probably and the answer is definatly "well stop smoking", but other than that I'm intrested in what might be going on.

I smoke about 5 cigarettes a day, and sometimes I get a sharp pain in the center of my chest after having a smoke that comes and goes for about 10min. I also had minor neck and upper back injury from a car accident 3 years ago and I was told by a chiropractor that I have a slight misalignment in my spine, and its possible since there are nerves involved that go to the chest that pain can be cause by a pinched nerve etc.

Any ideas?

John
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:04 am

User avatar Hello -- While your advice to yourself is excellent (regarding smoking cessation) this particular problem doesn't sound as though it's directly related to the habit (although it could possibly be in some arcane way); rather it seems more likely your second guess, regarding a nerve issue due to the accident may be causing this. There are certainly cervical and thoracic nerve trunks that serve the front (anterior) part of the chest, and since you do have a history consistent with this possibility it seems more likely it has something to do with this problem. I'd see either an orthopedist or neurologist if possible, since this may be a sequal to the original injury. It may be something relatively trivial, but pain alone, if chronic or recurrent, can be quite a burden, so it may be worth a look to see if the traumatic misalignment has worsened.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.

|