Question: chest pain, back pain, vomitting

MISSFAYE - Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:52 am

I'm a 24 year old female, have always been very healthy. I am 29 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child.

A few weeks ago I was rushed into hospital with sever pains in chest and back and vomitting. after 4 hours it dissapeared and i was discharged with no idea what was happening. for the past few days I have not been sleeping very well, I have tingles all over my body though it seems very centred on my right arm and hand. I've had a lot of bad migraines and yesterday I had an extremelt bad nose bleed. everything seemed ok after that but I woke up in agony through night, It was so bad i was in tears. It felt at first like someone had been staming on my chest. My ribs where killing me. The pain started in the top of my back, mainly in the centre. Felt like someone had rammed a knife in and was constantly moving it around. I threw up 4 times and took me a few hours to loose the pain but it did not go completely. This is similar to what happened the first time when i was rushed to hospital. I've noticed that i have a bad loss of appitite also but i have put that down to the pregnancy.

I'm really worried about this. A friend suggested the first time that it may be something to do with acid but I have not suffered from any problems whatsoever with acid before and during my pregnancy.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:00 pm

User avatar Hello -- This is a very strange presentation, but one thing that should be ruled out is pressure on the diaphragm and phrenic nerve (or one of the other major thoracic nerves) due to the pregnancy. This is one of the few things I can think of that might be causing this sort of combination of bizarre symptoms, and it's not unreasonable to assume, especially when lying down, this could be causing both the chest and back pain of the sort described, and even the vomiting. It may well not be the answer, but exploring this possibility will at least bring attention nearer the problem area, which is almost certainly somewhere in the same vicinity. This is the best I can come up with at this moment, and it's a reasonable guess.

Please stay in touch with us here and keep us updated as to what happens. Hopefully this can be resolved soon. Good luck to you.
 MISSFAYE - Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:02 am

Ty for your reply. My doctor said the same in regards to the pressure. As of yet nothing has really been diagnosed but I was told if it happens again that i should go straight to A&E so they can moniter whats happening, when it happens and it will be took from there.

I was given Iron tablets and since then things seemed to have calmed down a lot so I have my fingers crossed that it won't happen anymore.

|