Question: Chest Pressure with Neck & Head Ache

Janbo25 - Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:41 am

Hi, I recently had a baby 7 weeks ago and since then I have had bad discomfort to the righthand side of my chest, which doesn't hurt to touch and doesn't affect my breathing (a PE as been rulled out, i have had a chest xray and VQ scan), the pain feels more like a stitch after you have been running etc. the achingness also travels around into my neck where it feels very achy and I've also been having slight headaches mainly to the righthand side but sometimes all over which feel more like pressure rather than a shooting/sharp pain.
I have had a bllod test done at the doctors which showed that my ESR was up, which I believe means there is some inflamation??
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:41 pm

User avatar Dear Janbo25,

It is more likely that the pain you feel is of muscle origin.

Overexertion of the chest wall muscles (spasm) or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in Chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves posture, and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles.
Muscle spasm is a body reaction to injury in tissues
Causes of muscle injury include:
Muscle fatigue
Heavy exercise
Maintained wrong postures

Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of Chest pain that give similar picture.

Self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a
gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy. Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.l

ESR usually indicates that inflammation is present in the body. However, how high is your test. Slight elevation that resolves in a month time does not necessitate further investigations.
Very high levels are commonly seen in Connective tissue disease like RA, in malignancy, in hematological disorders and infections.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

|