News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: 24 y/o male w/ chest discomfort

Bremquest - Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:55 pm

Hi, I am a 24 y/o male whom experiences an anxiety like feeling in his chest while exerting himself, such as running. I would not describe it as pain, but when I run for a while, I will have these periods where it feels as though my chest is going to explode. I will feel a little queasy/dizzy during these episodes, but it subsides quickly.
I am a firefighter/paramedic, and while at work I conducted a 12-lead on myself. The interpretation was Sinus Bradycardia w/ irregularities, however I think the irregularities was just artifact. My resting HR is about 56. I have had stress tests, but I did not have the feeling during the test and of course I passed. Please help.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:48 am

User avatar Hi,
Would i be wrong in assuming that you are a very atheletic type of an individual, as your resting heart rate is low?
Resting Bradycardias in atheletes are quite usual and normal.

In other individuals, bradycardias may indicate some underlying abnormality.Symptomatic (Symptoms of bradycardia include fainting, dizziness, extreme tiredness, and shortness of breath) bradycardias should always be investigated.

In your case, as the symptoms came on during exertion,it is possible that at that point of time,you had developed a new dysrhythmia or prehaps your heart rate failed to increase proportionately.Are you an any medications(such as beta blockers?)

'Sick sinus syndrome' may need to be excluded.The other likely candidate is 'exercise- induced hyperkalemia',which can precipitate an acute change in cardiac rhythm.

You may not have experienced any problem during stress testing because the level of stress might not have equalled the stress of running.I think you need to be tested further to exclude some underlying cause. Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here