Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: CXR + CT reveal mass + pneumonia

walrivps - Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:25 am

My 38 year old diabetic brother was informed 2 days ago of having contracted the H1N1 flu virus, at which time a CXR revealed a large mass within the upper right portion of his left lung. Following a CT scan, he was informed that a mass, believed to be a tumor of 3.5 - 4.5 cm, was engulfed within pneumonia infection.
Could it be possible that the mass is tuberculosis, rather than a tumor since he tested positive for inactive TB as a young child?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:30 am

User avatar Hello -- Yes, it seems entirely possible the mass could be a calcified TB lesion as easily as a tumor, especially since it appears in the midst of a pneumonia infiltration (this is more common). Once the infection is cleared up with antibiotics the mass will be easier to visualize. If it's still unclear what it is, it can be biopsied to determine its nature. It could well be just an old tubercular cyst that's been there for quite a while. It also could be a benign tumor. FIrst order of business is to resolve the pneumonia, after which a more clear picture of what's going on will be possible.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you and to your brother. Please follow up with us here as needed.
 walrivps - Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:52 am

Thank you ever so much, Dr. Kenyon; first for taking time out to answer my question, and secondly, for giving me an idea of the possibilities.

My brother's doctor placed him on Augmentin in an attempt to rid him of the pneumonia. Last Friday, another CT scan was performed and he is to receive the results this week. I will keep you posted.

Thanks again, and I hope you have a wonderful and happy Thanksgiving.

Warm regards,
Pamela Walriven
 walrivps - Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:16 am

Dear Mr. Kenyon,

I apologize for the mistake in identity as I announced you as a doctor, rather than an EMT, CNA. I am a former CNA of 8 years who attended college for nursing a few years back, but switched degrees prior to finishing the nursing course. I am now a substitute teacher after spending much time in college, and am considering attending college again to become a licensed Intervention Specialist and to complete my Master's degree in Special Education (only another 2 years in college).

Nevertheless, you have really done your research! Have you considered becoming a doctor? You probably should since it appears that you pay close attention to detail, which is so important when it comes to the health and lives of people. My own mother lost her life in 2007 due to the staff of a hospital overlooking important details, so I cannot stress enough the importance of every little detail.

Once again, thank you for replying to my post; and, Happy Holidays!

Pamela Walriven
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:05 pm

User avatar Hello Pamela,

You are very welcome, is why I'm here! I'm glad to learn your brother is on appropriate antibiotic therapy and hope that will help clarify things a lot.

As for that "doctor" thing, no problem, it happens all the time. I do thank you, though, for your kind words. I've been an EMT, paramedic, have been trained in critical care nursing (but am not an RN), and am certified in non-invasive diagnostic cardiology, so my scope has been limited to emergency care, which requires the most knowlege in cardiology, neurolog and mechanisms of trauma. It is a rather narrow field, although I also hold certification in critical incident stress management. I once thought I'd like to be a doctor, but after having worked with some extremely fine ones, decided at one point I'd rather be the extra eyes and ears than try to compete in that field. It's been very gratifying. The CNA license is required in my home state for many of the jobs I've held, and I have a lot of respect for what dedicated CNAs do on a daily basis, so good on you for that as well as for having chosen an equally challenging and important career path. I have done my research and continue to, as I want always to be learning and to be as useful as possible. That requires good teachers! I don't know that I'd be up to the rigors of internship at my age anyway. :)

It is a huge compliment you've paid me and I want you to know how much it's appreciated. Thank you very much. I hope your Thanksgiving is a wonderful one as well.

My best,
John Kenyon

|