News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: reoccuring pneumonia + igG for aspargillus

shimipl - Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi
im a woman 60 years old and have been suffering from reoccuring pneumonia for many years. I have had a lung biopsy in order to find out the cause but the didn't find anything.
I have been treated with steroids which seemed halpfull but i don't want to keep taking it due to the side effects.
Recently i have sent a blood sample to labs , which showed a bit high dose of igG antibodies for aspargillus (98 mg/L).

could it be that aspargillus causes all my problems (or it got me just because of the steroids)?
and is there a different treatment from steroids?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:39 am

User avatar Hello -- There are four different types of aspergillus-related pneumonia and each requires different medical treatment. The allergic type responds well to steroids, sometimes in combination with an antifungal. I'm assuming this is the type you have and is the reason for the steroid therapy. If this is correct, then the only alternative would be to add an antifungal, but if it hasn't been determined which sort of aspergillus-related pneumonia you have (and it's not for sure that's what you have, but it seems awfully likely) this needs to be sorted out so the most effective treatment is initiated.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here