Question: Chronic mucus production in left lung, dull back pain.

melissa_sarn - Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:42 am

I have had worsening symptoms for 4 months now. When I cough forcefully, there is a thick clear mucus ejected (glad there is no infection) yet this has been a chronic symptom for a long time. Moreover I also have a wheeze and shortness of breath after exertion that never used to cause shortness in breath (i.e. going up a flight of stairs). I also have dull back pain on the lower left side and also above my left breast. The pain goes away, but I always feel a strange "fullness" sensation on the left side of my chest cavity compared to my right.

I have had a chest xray and a sputum test showing nothing. My doctor thinks it is seasonal allergies but I think it is something more.

She also thinks it may be due to my mild pectus excavatum (indentation of chest physically disrupting my left lung, yet in that case, i would have suffered from this from a long time back!)

Please help!!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:53 pm

User avatar Hello -- While the negative findings of chest x-ray and sputum culture are indeed encouraging, it is odd, and while you've not had this previously despite mild pectus excavatum, we frequently hear, in many different types of situations, "I didn't have this before." Sometimes things just eventually change. You also could well have developed some mild asthma which could be new and which might be worsened by even a mild Pec-Ex. An AsthmaCheck device, a cheap, simple gizmo most doctors have in supply in the office, could help determine if you have any obstruction to your breathing. If not you may well have some post-nasal drainage either due to allergy or sinus infection, which can often wind up in the bronchii and cause a productive cough. If this is the case the problem will need to be treated directly.

Other than the AsthmaCheck test, which simply involves blowing into the little platic device to move a pointer on a scale (hopefully to somewhere between 350 - 500) you may actually need the services of an ENT specialist.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.

|