Question: Lower Chest Pain Right Side

Alryth - Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:01 pm

I am currently having pains on the lower right side of my chest, right on the side very near the bottom rib. The pain itself feels like a really bad cramp almost, but it has been persistant for about 2 days now. It's hurts more if I move a certain way, and it will go away if I stay still. I have n shortness of breath, feel great, other than this.

I know this is vague, but any suggestions on what it might be?>
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:16 am

User avatar Dear Alryth,
The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves. They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.
Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles. Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of chest pain. They are also tenderness over the affected areas. In all of these conditions the chest pain is usually aggravated by taking deep breath and cough. Inflammation of the pleura covering the lung gives a sharp pain that is associated with cough and is more severe when taking deep breath.

Sometimes chest pain is not originating from the chest itself; instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include IBS, gastritis and gastric ulcer, gall bladder disease, GER.

Pain due to gastritis increase either after fasting or after meals, while pain due to gall bladder disorder is felt on the right side of the upper abdomen and is associated with fatty meals.

You need to be examined by your doctor, since the pain you described can be any of these causes. Only by complete history and physical examination your doctor can reach the right diagnosis and provide you the proper management.
 brendanh - Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:27 pm

I'm having the exact same symptoms, feels like cramp just below the bottom rib on my right side. Did you find out what was the cause, what treatment did you receive, and how long before it healed?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:43 pm

It would be more helpful if you could describe more the character of this pain like;
onset,
course e.g increase with movement, food, etc ,
associated symptoms like tenderness, , breathing problems or any GI troubles like constipation, diarrhea, gas , and
if ther are other medical problems or received medications.
 brendanh - Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:20 am

I sustained it playing football 2 days ago, when I turned whilst sprinting. Pain free whilst still, but hurts with certain movements, large inhalations, running, turning torso. No significant GI trouble, I've had increased gas since I started chewing gum, but cut down recently and has improved. No other problems. I will try to see a doc today.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:23 am

In this case, it is more likely to be a muscle spasm from a wrong or following a sudden improper movement or wrong posture.

Muscle spasm is a body reaction to injury in tissues
Causes of muscle injury include:

Muscle fatigue
Heavy exercise
Maintained wrong postures
Viral infection

Muscle spasm alone can cause the pain which can be an unidentified cause.

In these cases, self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy.

Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.

|