News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Can't get rid of Persistent Symptoms

ron125 - Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:37 am

In December I was on a plane and the man behind me was very sick. He was coughing, and was extremely congested. Shortly after that I became ill with similar symptoms. Three weeks I went to the doctor and was placed on antibiotics, alupent, and a decongestant. I had a chest xray that was clear but did show a compression deformity of one of the vertebrae. About two weeks later I went back to the doctor because I thought I had cracked a rib from severe coughing. At that time I still had nasal congestion, asthma like symptoms, and was still bringing up clear mucous. The doctor said that he could prescribe a steroid and I said I preferred not to take it. I wound up with more of the same medications minus the antibiotics.

Here I am three months later and now have the following symptoms:
During the day I am mostly ok, except that I occasionally get fatigued and have general malaise.
Have occasional heartburn.
I now cough mostly when wheezing in the evening/night.
Get congested at night and occasionally produce clear mucous.
The symptoms occur mostly when lying down. I am now taking over the counter medications that seem to help along with drinking coffee.

I thought I might have allergies but allegra hasn’t helped.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:48 am

User avatar Hi ron125,
Pulmonary function studies is an excellent tool to evaluate lung function. If this diagnostic has not been completed I would suggest to inquire about this with your physician. Also medications such as inhalers for example, may help improve wheezing etc.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 ron125 - Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:18 am

I had a CT scan of the sinues that was normal. For the past month I have been on Flunisolide Nasal solution that seems to help with some of symptoms. I stll can't sleep through the night becasue laying down after a while cause me to get congested. My next appointment with the doctor is at the end of this month. I would bet that my pulmonary functins are ok as I have recently started swimming 30-40 minutes daily with out any problems.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here