Question: left shoulder pain with pain under sternum

Jessica11226 - Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:01 pm

I experienced left shoulder pain along with pain under my sternum. The pain was constant and lasted about an hour. I was also very nauseous, but no vomiting. Has happened twice 3 months to the day apart, and both shortly after late night meals. After the 2nd occurrence all of my back teeth hurt the next day. I am almost 20 and wondering if I should be concerned about the conditions or if it is just heartburn.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:15 am

User avatar HI,
The pains that you are describing can be attributed to a number of conditions such as
- Gastro-esophageal reflux
- angina pectoris
- myocardial infarction
- musculo-skeletal pain etc.

Of late, Acute myocardial infarction (AMI) is being increasingly being reported in young individuals.

AMI has a low incidence in young adults. The percentage of patients under 40 years of age is 2- 8 % of all AMI cases
and it rises to 10% for people under 46.

It is unclear if AMI in young adults may be
considered as an early expression of coronary artery
disease (CAD) or an entirely autonomous disease.Possible gene polymorphisms are being investigated.

AMI in young adults is typical as regards risk factors,
clinical, angiographic and prognostic characteristics.
The risk factor pattern appears to be different from that in older people. The most common factor is cigarette smoking , followed by family history for CAD. An association between AMI in young adults and cocaine abuse has been noted. Cocaine, by its harmful effects on myocardial oxygen demand, myocardial perfusion, and its direct myocardial toxicity may precipitate an AMI.

AMI in young women has been noted to be associated with
oral contraceptive use.

Keeping these facts in mind, it will be safer for young persons with retro-sternal pain to report to their doctors promptly to exclude an AMI (although it is relatively infrequent).

|