News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: intermittent pulsation in xyphoid area with no pain

pulsation99 - Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:01 pm

3 weeks ago I mowed my lawn. It is very sandy and dusty. Afterwards I had pulsations in my lower chest, upper abdomin around the xyphoid area. This was sporadic for a day or two and somewhat anxiety producing. Then it went away for a day. Came back for two days. Went away for 4 days and returned again.
Since then I have noticed it mostly occurs when I am sitting, rarely when walking, and rarely when walking outdoors.

They tend to stop at night and do not seem to occur when I sleep. I seems stress related but they have lingered.

I have no other symptoms except I sometimes feel the desire to force out some burps.

No pain, no tiredness, no lightheadedness.

As you can see from my history, excellent health. I am 5'8" 158lbs

I do some yoga, light weight lifting. Have not done aerobic activity in a long time.
I am a vegetarian for 26 years.

I am guessing stress, anxiety and hyper-awareness of my body. ????

THanks for any response to this letter.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:23 am

User avatar Hello,It is quite common to feel abdominal pulsations near the xiphoid especially in lean persons and those with weak abdominal muscles.However what you are experiencing are more likely to be muscle twitching,otherwise known as benign fasciculations.The muscle twitching can become more apparent during anxiety states.
The difference between the more serious type of fasciculations is that in Benign Fasciculation Syndrome the twichings disappear during work or exercise.
I am sure these symptoms have settled by now.If it persists do get examined by a physician.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here