Question: inhalation of food

eamai - Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:53 am

I inhaled a bit of food into my lung. Does it go away by itself or should I see a doctor about it?
 Rhonda P, CEP - Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:03 pm

The epiglottis is a little “trap door” that protects the airway from foreign body invasion and sometimes bits of food, fluid, dust, etc. may get past it causing us to cough like we’re going to die any second. Sometimes we can cough the item out but it still feels like it’s in the airway when it actually isn’t but if an item actually did go down into your windpipe and you can’t cough it out you will need to go to a Doctor and get it removed. If you feel like there is something in your throat or lung go get checked right away. It can cause an infection or shut part of your lung down.

|