Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Stopping Smoking

cinders - Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:23 am

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post or not but any help would be appreciated!

I'm 27 years old and have been smoking for 10 years. I have never smoked cigarette's but I'm afraid I have smoked 5-6 joints every night for the past 10 years thinking they helped me relax and helped me get to sleep, but in actual fact it was just nicotene addiction. Now I know smoking a joint (due to no filter) is apparantly the same as smoking 3-4 cigarette's... So I guess I've been quite a heavy smoker for 10 years.

I stopped smoking a week ago after watching a DVD (The Easy Way To Stop Smoking by Allan Carr) I would say gave up smoking, but in fact I haven't actually given anything up (if a smoker thinks they are depriving themselves of something then it only makes it more precious...)

Anyway, I broke the 3 day barrier (the worst bit) and now physical cravings have gone and I know I'll never smoke again. I'm just worried about the damage I've done to my lungs....

Now I swim regularly and never have any breathing problems, out of breathness etc. However I know my lung capacity is not what it used to be. I assumed over the past week I'd cough up the cr*p from lungs due to them cleaning themselves (the body is so remarkable!) but nothing...! : (

Anyway my main question is there anything I can do (apart from exercise) to speed up the removal of cr*p from my lungs?... ie. would taking a bronchial dilator help at all?...

Any help appreciated!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:09 am

User avatar Hi cinders,
To my knowledge there is no nicotine in marijuana. According to some studies however, it suggests that just three marijuana joints a day causes the same damage to the lung's airways as 20 cigarettes due to the carbon dioxide content etc. Production of phlegm (coughed up mucous) usually begins to decrease after the first week of discontinuation. Lung function may not ever return to the pre-smoking state.
 cinders - Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:02 am

Hi!

Sorry, I forgot you guys are based over in the USA.

Here in the UK we normally mix our weed with 1 cigarette's worth of tobacco to make a joint.

So for every joint I've smoked, I've smoked a cigarette.

You see I have some clenbuterol here that I know is a bronchial dialator so was wondering if that would help open up my lungs a bit helping them clean out?....
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:09 am

User avatar Hi cinders,
No my apology indeed. I was not aware of the combination of nicotine and marijuana :) I will remember that for future reference though so thank you. The forum is actually comprised of people from all over the world. A bronchodilator does open the bronchial tubes so this may prove to be effective. Deep breathing exercises will also help.
 Clank101267 - Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:30 am

Well it's good you are stopping. Does anyone have a cure for Hyperhidrosis?

|