"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Asthma - Usage of Ventolin Inhaler

veryworried - Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:37 am

Hi there.

I have been asthmatic since a very, very young age. I am 20 now.

I am of Asian origin but I have been in Australia for 3 years for educational purposes (thought this might be of relevance when it comes to what triggers asthma attacks).

Before I go to bed at night, I'll feel difficulty in breathing. I felt the same thing when I was back in Malaysia for my 3 months holiday. I am not sure how long I have been experiencing this but i think it has gone on for about a year. I had been asthma-attack-free for quite a good number of years before it started bugging me again. When i came to Australia 3 years ago, symptoms of asthma started to set in. Difficulty in breathing at night only became consistent bout a year ago.

Before bed, due to difficulty in breathing, I'll use the Ventolin Inhaler (puffer). Directly after that, my breathing will suddenly become more difficult, and I'll feel a sudden dizziness, which goes away in 2 secs. Can you please explain to me why is that?

I am 167cm tall. I was 83kg. I joined the gym a year ago, and had since been doing consistent cardio and weight training. I do badminton, squash, cycling etc. I am now a 69kg. I have been eating healthy, so I have not been sacrificing nutrition to get slim fast.

Thanks and I really hope to hear from you soon.

Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:29 am

User avatar Hi veryworried,
You may view my response in your other post. ... php?t=4680
 yellowwheel - Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:20 pm

I had a simular side effect with another brand inhaler. I worked around that by holding it in for fewer seconds. But that probably only worked because I was getting less of the medication. In the end I just changed to a different brand inhaler and that never happened with the new one.