News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Asthma

Question: left lung pain

MaysMommy - Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:11 am

I have been sick for two weeks now. First started out as a stomach bug, then that went away and moved to my chest and head. Went to my doctor, the told me it was basically a cold, but my asthma was complexing it. Put me on a sulfer drug and predisone. Thought I was getting better, but now I have a dull pressure pain in the middle of my back on my right side, about where I think my lumg is. I can not lay down that the pain is not worse and that I start coughing uncontrollably.
My Entire family has this, including my 4 month old, but I am the only one with this pain. Could I have pulled a muscle coughing, or should I be worrried?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:21 pm

User avatar Dear MaysMommy,
you have got cold that precipitate an asthmatic attack. Asthma is a condition in which there is shortness of breath, wheezing, or cough, in turn, Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation resulting in chest pain.
Chest infection including viral infection, and Inflammation of the pleura covering the lung (pleurisy) is another possible cause for your chest pain.
In all of these conditions the chest pain is usually aggravated by taking deep breath and cough. Irritation of the pleura that covers the lung results in cough .
proper physical examination and chest X-rays can help in the diagnosis of the cause of this chest pain. My concern is if the cough, is it productive and is related to posture? If the answer is yes, and your sputum is not clear, this means your chest infection may be not covered enough with the antibiotic you have received and you need culture and sensitivity for the sputum to receive the specific antibiotic treatment. if the cough is dry then probably it is a viral infection that needs symptomatic treatment and rest.
you better visit your consultant and see what would he recommend according to the physical examination he will do.
Thank you,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here