Question: Chest pains

Dllamb - Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:05 am

Hello my name is Daniel L. I am currently 15 years old and have been having chest pains. These pains come and go. I ussally do not get shortness of breath during the pain but simple things such as cleaning a room seem to suck the air right out of me. I also feel over heated all the time and am sweating real easy. I have minor Diarrhea. Any help would be great. Thank you!
P.S.
It has got to the point I can't even work out. If I get my heart rate going it just hurts more and more. My dad thinks it my be gas. My mom thinks it may be a bone out of place. I am getting a doctors appointment but it is rather imbarrassing at work unable to do something with out losing my breath and sweating real bad.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:14 pm

User avatar Dea Dllamb,

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves. They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.

According to your description, the cause of your symptoms is more likely to be due to::

- Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura (the membrane covers the lung) , which is a double-layered membrane covers the lungs separating it from the rib cage.

Viral infections like flu, are the most common cause of pleurisy. The pain is felt as sharp pain which get worse by coughing, sneezing, moving and deep breathing. Auscultation of the chest shows a characteristic sound known as pleural rub.

Diarrhea could be also part of the viral infection.

The condition gradually improves with rest, plenty of fluid. NSAID can help reduce the pain.

If you have a productive Cough with yellowish or greenish sputum, or high Fever, you should visit your doctor immediately to receive the proper medical care.

- Overexertion of the chest wall muscles (spasm) or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in Chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles. Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of Chest pain.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor, only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

Hope you find this information useful. Keep us updated.

|