Question: Deep Cough With Bloody Flem!!

planetg - Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:15 am

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me here, I've had a flu style cold for the last few weeks, I thought it was easing last week, but it's came back with avengence. I can handle the normal flu stuff, the random fevers, etc... but the cough is a strange one, it starts kinda like I can't breathe properly, then it evolves over about 3 or 4 attempts into a really deep chesty cough that leaves me spitting out some rather horrible bloody flem. I think there's more blood that flem!!

It's usually worse in the mornings as with any cold, but it's seriously worse in the mornings, the deepness of this cough is quite restricting. I also manage to blow a bucket load of thick green mucus from my nose every morning although apart from mornings there doesn't seem to be any congestion.

Anyways, that's about as much as I can say... I think the bloody flem was the bit that got me worried. Any help would be greatlt appreciated.

Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:40 am

User avatar Hi planetg,
Allergies, irritants (especially smoking), chronic sinusitis etc. , may causes a coughs with mucous production. Certain disease states, for example tuberculosis, causes bloody mucous production. However, any persistent cough, especially with bloody mucous should prompt an alert for an evaluation by a physician to determine it's etiology.
 planetg - Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:59 am

Thanks, I guess I'll make an appointment at the doctors then...
 planetg - Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:10 am

oh well, I just called my doctor, unfortunatley I can't get an appointment till the 24th, so I guess I just have to deal with it!!
 NikkyLeClair - Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:02 am

I think if you are still having these symptoms you should go to the ER. TB is very dangerous and contageous, if it came back that you did have it, this of all the loved ones you may have exposed to it. Please update us on how everything turns out.

Best of Luck,
Nikky, MA
 planetg - Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:45 pm

Cheers for the feedback, but the flem isn't bloody anymore and it seems to be clearing up, no scare of TB though, I got an injection called a BCG when I was in highschool, everyone in the UK gets them when they are small to immunise them from TB. I was rather violently ill this morning, maybe it's the second phase?? I've got an appointment at the doctors on Monday so hopefully I'll get sorted out!!

|