News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Coughing problem...Very Bad

cwboylver17 - Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:54 pm

I am writing this for my boyfriend of 2 years. For about a year and a half he has had this really really bad wet cough that has not gone away. i tell him to spit out whatever comes up but he says nothing comes out, but you can hear it. the only time it was good wa when we were in greece. he has been to 2 doctors including another one over there who say its allergies. I really disagree with it. i don't think allergies can last almost 2 years straight. he has a hard time laying down and has to sit forward constantly so he does not have a coughing attack. they are very scary and he can not catch his breath. He has 2 inhalers which don't do anything at all either. I am really worried and i am about to take him to the hsopital. he does not smoke. His other symptoms include vomiting from coughing, coughing up yellow and green mucus, runny nose, and recently getting bad headhaches. can someone please help. i am so worried. Thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:40 pm

User avatar Dear cwboylver17,
You have mentioned that he has now yellowish to greenish sputum, and also that the symptoms are related to posture, this means that he is more likely to have a chest infection (bacterial). So, you must visit the consultant as soon as possible.
Regarding his long lasting condition which is the cough,
Chronic cough with or without sputum (phlegm) can be a symptom of asthma. Asthma is due to an inflammatory process in the respiratory airway a disease. The inflammation results in spasm of the muscles of the bronchial way with swollen cells in the airway lining, as a sequence narrowing of the respiratory tract and decreased airflow. symptoms are usually aggravated by exposure to certain allergens such as, as moist cold air. It is also exacerbated with exercise and chest infections as in your case
Personal and/or family history of allergies are present in most patients with asthma, like allergic rhinitis (hay fever) or eczema. Symptoms are usually periodic and vary in duration, may last from few minutes up to few days.
Asthmatic patients have thier chest predisposed to repeated infections.
Diagnosis is made by careful history and examination. Auscultation of the chest during the episode shows the very characteristic wheezing sounds. In between attacks the chest is normal on examination and some Tests may help:
Lung function tests
•Peak flow measurements
•Chest x-ray
•Allergy skin or blood tests
•Arterial blood gas
•Eosinophil count (a type of white blood cell)

Treatment include, identifying the allergens and respiratory irritants and to avoid them. In addition, Common allergens like dust mites, cockroach allergens, molds, and pollens and Common respiratory irritants include: tobacco smoke, pollution, and fumes from burning wood or gas should be avoided.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here