Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Lung pain vs heart pain

shoejr - Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:39 am

Can you tell me how one can distinguish between a left lung pain vs a heart pain? I have been to a cardiologist, had numerous tests (including the stress echo) and they found no signs of heart problems. I have also been to a gastroenterologist and THEY found nothing as well. I continue to experience a jabbing pain on my left side that leaves me feeling weak for short period of time. The pain is only for a second or two but enough to cause concern and enough to cause your mind to go crazy!
Any ideas?

Thank you for your expertise and the service you perform!!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:29 pm

User avatar Dear Shoejr,
Sorry to hear about the pains. Chest pain is usually a difficult task to tackle. The list of causes is enormous. The right thing to do ofcourse is to rule out the more dangerous causes e.g. heart disease, which is what your doctor did. The cause of chest pain could arise from any of the tissues that make up the chest wall or could be referred from some other problem e.g. neck problems (osteoarthrosis of the cervical joints) or it could be a psychological problem (anxiety). The list is too large that merely stating it here would'nt be so useful.

Did your doctor order a chest x-ray? if he did how did it turn up?
 shoejr - Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:25 pm

Thank you for your reply Dr.
They actually did a CT scan and it showed small "blebs". I'm obviously not trained, but was told that those are just bubbles on the lungs. I am 42, was a smoker for almost 15 years but quit 10 years ago so I guess they didn't focus on the "blebs" too much. I believe I am remembering the term "blebs" correctly.....

Thanks again for your reply.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:30 pm

User avatar How long has this pain been going on? What relieves it? Does it happen every day?
 shoejr - Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:48 pm

I have the pain almost every day; never lasts more than a second or 2 but literally takes my breath away for that second and then it takes me a short while to "recover"! Happens anywhere from 1-3 times a day. If I'm lucky, some days I have no pain at all but rarely go 2 days without a pain. After the jabbing pain, I may have an ache that feels like a bruise on the inside. It's hard to explain the feeling. I've been dealing with this for almost a year now. When it first began, I had a number of trips to the ER. Slowly starting going through testing with a cardiologist and then the gastroenterologist. All of this over the past 9 months. The only thing that REALLY relieves the pain is time.

|