News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: Shortness of breath after pnuemonia is gone

elizebeth grace - Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:40 pm

Hello
Im 13 and thought i would see if i could get an answer here because my doctor says im fine now, but a couple months ago I got pnuemonia and even though its gone i still have shortness of breath.

i first started feeling different in the spring, my entire personallity changed and i couldn't figure out why, i was always tired (i would sleep for more than 17 hours a day) i didn't care about anything that was going on around me and i coundn't figure out why. this went on for another two months but the only symptoms i had were drowsiness, high heart rate, yellow nails and green mucus. none of these sympons made me think i had pnuemonia because i didn't have a fever or a cold or a flu.

After 3 months of this i finally went to the hospital i got my blood tested urine teast and a chest x-ray iwas diagnosed with pnuemonia in my left lung. my left lung was very scard. I took clarithromycin 250mg and cerfuroxime axetil 500mg.

Its gone now but i still have shortness of breath especially when i play sports i even had to quit track breath i cant breath normally now i play tons of sports and its becoming a problem for me.

is there anything i can do to help my shortness of breath?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:24 am

User avatar Hi,
In the adolescent age group, pneumonias are frequently due to certain organisms such as,
- chlamydophila pneumoniae (C. pneumoniae),
- mycoplasma pneumoniae (M. pneumoniae),
- adenoviral infection,and
- Mycobacterial infection.

C. pneumoniae occur mostly in children. Humans are the only known host for C. pneumoniae. Infections cause respiratory diseases such as sinusitis, bronchitis, and pneumonia. C. pneumoniae is typically acquired by otherwise healthy people in the community situation (community-acquired pneumonia). C. pneumoniae pneumonia is categorized as an "atypical pneumonia" because, diagnosis and treatment differ from that of the well known causes such as Streptococcus pneumoniae pneumonia.

Acute C. pneumoniae infections seem often to precede episodes of asthma and is also involved in some exacerbations of chronic bronchitis. Moreover,it seems to be strongly associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

M. pneumoniae is a frequent causative agent of pneumonia among older children and adolescents. Mycoplasma accounts for 14-35% of pneumonia hospitalizations in this age group.

Some forms of viral pneumonia, particularly adenoviral infections, may cause necrotizing bronchiolitis or bronchiolitis obliterans.

Mycobacterial pneumonia has recently been noted with increasing frequency in socially deprived sections in urban settings.Children in shelters for the homeless, group homes and those with household contacts are particularly at risk. The diagnosis must be entertained in immunocompromised children as well.

For the sake of completion, i would mention Bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia (BOOP) or cryptogenic organizing pneumonia (COP), which is a rather vague entity. This usually begins between the ages of 40 and 60. May be triggered by bacterial/viral infections, parasitic infections, drugs, or toxic fumes. Some degree of hypoxemia may be demonstrable in affected individuals.

In conclusion, children who recover from an episode of pneumonia, but have recurrent or chronic symptoms, further testing is warranted. Further testing may include skin testing to identify fungal pathogens, tests for tuberculosis, sweat testing to identify cystic fibrosis, titers against rare pathogens, and bronchoscopy.

I hope this information is useful to you.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here