Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: Chemical Induced Pneumonia

Jewel - Thu May 26, 2005 10:43 am

I was inadvertantly exposed to the chemical Anhydrous Ammonia 5 weeks ago while on my nightly walk, this chemical was being applied to a local farm field. I ended up with chemical burns in and down my throat, broncial passages and lungs as well as a sunburn affect to my face and neck areas. (the only exposed areas of the skin). I have been treated with 3 different type of antibiotics thus far as well as 2 different types of inhalers. My worst symtoms throughout this ordeal has been the constant nagging dry cough that does not seem to go away. Will dimish for a day or two only to recycle once again. Any suggestions on what to do now. I am very concerned about the long term affects of this type of exposure, afraid of my cancer risks now, especially lung cancer, which is already in my family.
Any suggestions, thoughts, or ideas?
 Dr. S. Adhikari - Sat May 28, 2005 2:29 pm

Hi!
Visit your doctor for a checkup. Don't worry about lung cancer now. Any cancer occurs due to prolonged exposure to something that induces it NOT a single exposure. If you have lung cancer in your family the best thing you can do to prevent it is by not smoking. Yur dry nagging cough may improve by steam inhalation but visit your doctor anyway.
 matthew111 - Sat May 28, 2005 9:04 pm

Many things you can do to minimize risk of cancer such as

Take MultiVitamin Supps such as Cod Liver Oil which contains Vitamin A - Vitamin D - Vitamin E and Omega 3 DHA / EPA and Olive oil is anti infammatory

Strong Antioxidants which you can find in Green tea (without milk) and recent reports show that white tea has significantly more powerful antioxidants than Green tea.

Japan has many smokers but they have a lower lung cancer rate than majority of countries. This maybe associated with the antioxidants they get from 'green tea' - drink around 2 - 5 cups per day.

Antioxidants found in Green tea mops up free radicals. It kills cancer cells and inhibits tumor growth. You will atleast minimize the risk of cancer significantly. Also its very good for avoiding common illnesses such as Flu, colds and can prevent food poisoning etc.. Green tea is very very good.

You should be fine. But if you want to avoid lung cancer you will need to lead a healthy life style. Also try to follow some of the advice I just gave you.

But talk to your doctor if you are worried.

1) Green Tea May Lower Risk of Lung Cancer - Link
2) Cod Liver Oil - Link

|