Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Pleurisy Question

KevinC - Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:17 am

I have a question regarding pleurisy. About two weeks ago I went to my physician because of a problem getting a full breath. Taking in a deep breath led to a feeling like something was stopping my breath short of completion. My doctor examined me, had a chest X-Ray done, and also did a blood test; which I believe was basic blood count test. The tests came back fine and he told me I had pleurisy. He said it was probably from a viral infection; he had ruled out bacterial. I figured this was probably right as I was starting to get a pain behind my shoulder blades and some tenderness in the ribs that I had experienced in years past when I had pleurisy-like symptoms. I have pretty bad allergies and when the spring/summer starts here in Louisville, KY I often get respiratory infections of some kind. The doc gave me some Allegra, for allergies, and told me to take Ibuprofen for pleurisy pain. I followed this advice. About three days later I noticed that I was getting pains farther down the back, where I would think the kidneys are, and also in the stomach, specifically about two to three inches to the left of my navel. It's sort of a dull, sore pain, but can be more burning if I move certain ways. If I'm totally still it doesn't bother me much. I type for my job, so I'm often crunched over a keypad, which may make it worse. Anyways, I went back to my physician last weekend, just to make sure it wasn't something else. He did some bloodwork again. I was running a low-grade fever, 99.1, which I couldn't even tell I had. The bloodwork came out fine again. He also had a urinalysis done to make sure there was no kidney infection. He said it came out fine. My breathing problem has about cleared up. It's much better. I was wondering though about the soreness. Is it normal to last a bit? And is stomach pain common with pleurisy? I have never had it before. Of course the doctor was vague, because he wasn't really sure what kind of viral infection it was. He said sometimes they can last weeks.

Thanks,
Kevin
 Kacheri - Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:09 am

hi. i am not a doctor or a nurse, but i to had pluersy. To answer your question, well for me anyway was that since it was painful to breath at times and in certain positions like sitting down over a keyboard that my diaphram basically took over in my controlled breathing. Basically I was using the muscles in my stomach and side to inhale rather than my chest. Which allowed some air to get into my stomach causing pressure and pain as it worked itself out. When my allergies was under control as well as the coughing, the pluersy finally went away and I was able to breath normally again. So the muscles I was using to breath with, was no longer needed as the main source of my breathing so they cramped up causing me pain. So basically I had to recondition my body on how to breath. I hope this helps. :D

|