Question: randomly occuring wheezing feeling and pain!?

dreamergirl - Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:46 pm

I really need help with something that I have had for many months now... This all started back in March, when I came down with a really bad cold and burning throat pain. This lasted for about 2 weeks, and just as I was recovering from that, on the 21st of march I woke up one morning to a lot of pain on my left side, I could barely breathe because the pain was so strong.. as if someone was stabbing me on the side. I went to the docter and he just prescribed me some painkillers, ketoprofin etc, which I took for one week... This was monday, and by thursday I was feeling pretty good and since I am so addicted to the gym, I couldnt help go work out since I thought I was all fine by now... Well, the next day I got a fever and was feeling so sick that I went to the docter again and I was diagnosed with sinuitis. That explained all the headaches I had had the previous week... The docter prescribed with me an antiobitic that I cant remember the name of right now.. So I started taking that, but the fever wouldnt go away.. I had the fever for many days and the following thursday II woke up to a really strange feeling on my left.. It was a wheezing feeling that was accompanied with pain. So it felt as if there was something in my lungs or my side, which was really weird.. everytime I breathed it hurt really bad.. Well I went to the docter the next day again, where blood tests and x-ray were taken. Now I was diagnosed with pneumonia!! The docter didnt give me anything for it because he said that the antiobiotics that I was on for the sinuitis would probably kill the bacteria thats causing the pneumonia...... The next time I woke up with the same pain and wheezing feeling.. it was horrible. At times I felt alright, and other times worse... Well,the following monday, the 10th and thus last day of my antiobiotics course, I hoped that the antibiotics had killed everything necessary, but that day I experieced different symptons than before, now I had pain in my chest.. above my breasts, and it lasted for about half an hour, until I took pain killers and it went away.... On wednesday I went to the docter again since I still had some symptons even after my first course of antibiotics had ended.. Now I got a 10 day penicillin course... And I seemed to be feeling alright again, except now, sometimes when I would walk too much or seem to exhaust myself somehow, I started feeling this "wheezing" feeling again on my left side... and It seemed to go away with rest... And especially when I had gone out later at night when it was colder outside, it seemed to just get worse... So i tried to just get a lot of rest and take it easy... A week later when I was climbing up the stairs at school, this wheezing feeling on my left appeared again, and it was accompanied with pain.... The next day I went to the docter again, they took my blood tests and CRP, a heart film just to check that nothing was wrong with the heart.. There was nothing wrong with my heart, thank goodness and the blood tests were pretty normal too... I was feeling good for a few days after that. This visit to the docter was on wednesday, but on saturday morning I woke up with the same pain and wheezing feeling AGAIN.... and even If i went back to sleep, it woudlnt go away... It would normally hurt for a few hours, everytime I breathed in and out... but would go away with pain killers.. Well, the same thing happened again exactly a week later... I felt fine all the other days, but exactly the next Saturday morning I woke up with the same thing... Then I was fine for a few days, but hte following thursday it all came back again.. And normally it starts with a small feeling of "something" there on the left... it comes like crawling... It just normally comes out of the blue, with a small "feel" or something there, then it gets stronger and then it is accompanied by pain.... This thursday, I could only breathe shallow because If i tried to breathe in deep my left side/lower back would hurt really bad..... Well so I went to the docter again, a different docter this time, and I had my x-ray, blood tests, and CRP taken just in case.. and EVERYTHING came back normal... no inflmmation could be found from the blood tests, and the docter said that the pneumonia also had almost completely dissapeared... the docter just said that the pain must be muscle pain.... It was very hard to believe that since it hurt so much, everytime I breathed in and out.... The docter said I could live just normally, so I waited a few days.. and thought that okay, I guess it is muscle pain then... Now it is may, and its been almost 2 months since I got sick... 5 days after the last docter visit, I had the same pain.. again.... But despite this, i started to gently work out.. I went on small jogs.. and they actually made me feel much better.. same thing again a week later...and then 10 days later, and during all this I had started biking too, because I assumed that I would just live normally just like the docter had said, and since Its so hard for me to be without my workouts, i was so impatient, and I thought that whatever I had would eventually go away.. but again. the 22nd of may, the same crawling wheezing feeling and pain came up... and it would usually last all day, and the next day I would still feel "sore" on the left, and then i I would be fine a few days, and AGAIN the same thing, and now it has been going on for over 3 months!! A week after I just totally stopped working out, the same thing came about every other day.. and now a week ago, it continued for a few days........ I really don't know what it is that I have.. The docters keep saying that it is just muscle pain, but I never coughed a lot when I was sick, and I don't understand if it is muscle pain, why would the symptons reoccur from time to time, out of the blue and be painless at first and then start to hurt..... Maybe the pneumonia that I had caused an inflammed muscle that then radiates to the pleura... or it could be pleuritis.. I don't know, I just want to figure out what it is that I have, because I cant even work out or live my life normally like I used to!! PLEASE anyone if anyone has had simlar things, randomly reoccuring wheezing feeling and pain.... please let me know...
 JennaM20 - Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:55 pm

Hi, this is a reply to dreamer girl. I am also experiencing pain similar to yours. I had quite a bad cough after Xmas, but it went a few weeks ago. However, lately I have been experiencing pain, on my left side, sort of feels like its under my rib, going from my side to my back. When I breathe it REALLY hurts, deep breathing is especially painful. This is also accompanied by a wheezing sensation, but it doesnt feel like its coming from my chest, the wheezing sensation is felt in my side, under my rib. It is bizarre! I can;t see how it is muscular as where would the wheezing sensation come from ? I have not yet been to the doctors. Symptoms come and go. One day I'm fine, the next, the pain is back.
Did u ever find out what it was? The last u said was that the doc said it was muscular ?
Thanks Jen (20, female)
 budrick - Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:20 pm

well you are not alone in what you are feeling after having a dose of pneumonia,i have had 2 dose's and an almost 3rd (caught it before it turned into a full dose) along with several chest infections in between and after ,, the pains you are feeling around your rib cage whether your active or not are as a result of the pneumonia ,, it tends to put one hell of a strain on your whole rib cage area ,muscles included. i still have not recovered fully after my dose's ,mind you ,i had 2 full & 1 almost dose's , it is going to take a while to get back to where you were but you wont ever get back to your full level of fitness ,that was the one thing my doc told me to expect , even your breathing wont get back to normal ,my doc has decided that his last end diaganoses was in error and has placed me back on the inhalers that i was on but at half the dose ,he said i now have E I A ( EXERCISE INDUCED ASTMA) , which means inhalers before / during or after exercise ,, that is something you want to discuss with your doc to have checked out ,i had to research my condition myself and brought it to my doc's attention and after he checked it out he agreed ,,, you can check out my post on this site to see some similarities and you can go to ( http://www.aaaai.org/ ) to check out E I A , never take what is told to you at face value by anyone when you know there is something wrong , the consultant that was on my case was way off mark ,said i had no need for anything and to start off doing 5 mile cycles and jogging the same distance ,that it was all in my head ,mind over matter , he did'nt know much did he? and he was the expert , ,, just keep checking out all your options and hopefully you will get somewhere,, good luck
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:45 am

User avatar Hello Dreamergirl,

I hope you are doing well. pneumonia is known to cause muscle strain but also as you put it to cause pleurisy. This would lead to pain associated with breathing.

I think in your case you just needed more time to recuperate. Pneumonia is a severe form of inflammation. By excercising too early you are straining your system.

|