News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Chest Pains when breathing

lt8i6 - Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:45 am

I have chest pains, on my right side when I breathe deeply. This
in turn causes me to take shallower breaths and then
occationally need to take a deep breath. The pain is in the lower
chest off center by about 3 inches and maybe 3 inches from the bottom
of my rib cage. It hurts when I press down in the area. This started
happening after I ran yesturday and I did not endure any impact in
that, or any other area on my run.

Alexander
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:31 pm

User avatar You describe what is very likely costochondritis - an inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs. It is more painful on deep inspiration and when pressure is applied. It is either on one side or the other (or both in some cases) of the breastbone (sternum), or lower in the ribs.

It is from some type of strain, usually not perceptible to the patient at the time it occurs. If the patient has no history of peptic ulcer disease, they are usually treated with ibuprofen for several days. Costochondritis does take a long time to resolve though.
 drerwin - Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:32 pm

grrrrr no don't do that!!!!!!!! see your dr man! OMG!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:05 am

User avatar Hello,
There seems to be a misinterpretation here, so please let me interject.

At the top of every page in the forums we have a legal disclaimer saying: "The information provided on doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Given that statement any response from one of the members is to be regarded as informational. Ilovepatients is only informing you with how, if it were the case, the patient would be treated.

Ilovepatients is a very capable and well informed CMA (Clinical medical assistant). After answering over 200 patient questions in the space of two weeks on a purely voluntary basis, we all owe her a big thank you.
 playafade - Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:54 am

Medical expertise is so hard to access. The physicans or personnel who take their time to reply deserve major kudos!!!!!!!!!! thank you all!
 lt8i6 - Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:24 am

Thank you all. After listening to all of your advice, I did not do any of the suguestions! I just sat around an i feel better! Thanks though!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here