Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Chest Pains when breathing

lt8i6 - Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:45 am

I have chest pains, on my right side when I breathe deeply. This
in turn causes me to take shallower breaths and then
occationally need to take a deep breath. The pain is in the lower
chest off center by about 3 inches and maybe 3 inches from the bottom
of my rib cage. It hurts when I press down in the area. This started
happening after I ran yesturday and I did not endure any impact in
that, or any other area on my run.

Alexander
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:31 pm

User avatar You describe what is very likely costochondritis - an inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs. It is more painful on deep inspiration and when pressure is applied. It is either on one side or the other (or both in some cases) of the breastbone (sternum), or lower in the ribs.

It is from some type of strain, usually not perceptible to the patient at the time it occurs. If the patient has no history of peptic ulcer disease, they are usually treated with ibuprofen for several days. Costochondritis does take a long time to resolve though.
 drerwin - Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:32 pm

grrrrr no don't do that!!!!!!!! see your dr man! OMG!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:05 am

There seems to be a misinterpretation here, so please let me interject.

At the top of every page in the forums we have a legal disclaimer saying: "The information provided on doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Given that statement any response from one of the members is to be regarded as informational. Ilovepatients is only informing you with how, if it were the case, the patient would be treated.

Ilovepatients is a very capable and well informed CMA (Clinical medical assistant). After answering over 200 patient questions in the space of two weeks on a purely voluntary basis, we all owe her a big thank you.
 playafade - Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:54 am

Medical expertise is so hard to access. The physicans or personnel who take their time to reply deserve major kudos!!!!!!!!!! thank you all!
 lt8i6 - Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:24 am

Thank you all. After listening to all of your advice, I did not do any of the suguestions! I just sat around an i feel better! Thanks though!

|