Question: headache/chest pain

splume - Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:52 pm

I have been having these headaches since wednesday.... If they are migranes, they are not like any migranes I've had.... they pound in the front of my head around to the back base of my head.... severity can be from 4-10 in a 1-10 scale.. I try to take tylenol or advil to help subside them.....twice now I've had to take 1/2 of a Darvocet to help relieve the pain.... also I have been getting pain in my chest when I breathe off and on... this pain is not horrible, it just feels like someone is sticking pins in my lungs when I breathe in and I can't seem to catch my breathe properly... I also get hot and flushed and mildly dizzy..... it passes within about 15 minutes, then I feel nauseas and end up dry heaving a few times... then I'm fine. I just don't feel "normal", I have 2 children and I don't want them to know Mommy doesn't feel well.. what could this be? and how should I treeat it?
 splume - Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:11 pm

does anyone have any insight on this? My headaches and nausea are getting worse... and just to answer the question most people ask me.... no I am not pregnant. Thank You!
 Derek H, RN - Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:27 pm

From your post

did the headaches start suddenly?
did they start gradually?
were they asociated with any visual disturbance, or nausea at the time or did this start after the headache?
Hve you noticed any numbness or tingling, loss of power in one side of your body?

Also how young are your children are they particularly hyperactive , hve they changed any of their usual habits recently?

Also you don't mention a partner in your relationship, I don't mean to pry into your relationship but all of these factors can contribute to stress related headaches.

Do you have any other symptoms at all?
These headaches could be migraine in nature and if so analgesia and anti-inflammatory medication can help also having, if possible some time out in a darkened room with little to no interruptions, agin I don't know if this is posible for you but these are things that you can try initially,

If this doesnt help then you would have to visit your doctor for some further tests to rule out any other medical problems.

The pains in your chest can be associated with this type of stress related headaches,

try the suggestions if you can

Good luck and best wishes
 splume - Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:13 pm

thank you for your post. These headaches came on suddenly 8 days ago... the headache seems to be there at all times, and just ranges in intensity... the dizziness and nausea starts after the headache becomes intense. I have a history of migranes, but they always started with the "aura". this headache I don't have an aura. I have been seeing a chiropractor, who has been trying to treat my headache, he has pointed out some very tight muscles at the base of my neck/head on the left side which he says is causing my headaches, but after his treatments I don't feel any better. I have been icing the area he says is tight, that can be painful after a few minutes. My children are 3.5 and 10. I have been carrying a lot of stress around, as my 3.5 yr old is very defiant and is getting ready to be kicked out of his daycare... but my headache started the morning prior to me finding out he was getting kicked out. I do have a husband, he does help out some when he is home in the evenings... I don't sleep much... I have a hard time getting to that "tired" point. usually I am up til 1-2 am, occasionally I get to sleep by midnight. I get up at 7:30 every morning and take my kids to camp and daycare, then work from 9-3. Today I had to leave work because the pain was so intense I was nauseas and dry heaving again. I did schedule an appt with my primary dr for tomorrow... so I guess i'll wait to see what he says. My person as a whole just doesn't feel "right". Thanks again

|