Question: Mysterious Chest Pain

rgearity - Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:04 pm

I have had the following chest pain for years now and my doctor cannot figure out what is causing it. The pain is sharp and happens a couple of times a day. It is over the rib cage and always the exact same spot on the chest wall. When it starts happening I can immediately massage the same area and it will aleviate the pain, however, it is obviously ebarassing to be in a social or business situation and have to do that - people think I am having a heart attack ! My doctor has sent me for all cardiac tests and they ahev shown that there is nothing wrong with my heart. The area where the sharp pain occurs is on the left side of my chest, about half way between the nipple and the middle of the rib cage, but about 1 inch up from that straight line. About the time this started happening (now about 5 or 6 years ago), I had a rather large pimple on my chest that - unbeknownst to me - got larger under the service until eventually I recognized the problem and lanced and drained it - it got rather large under the surface - perhaps as much as 3/4 of an inch across before it was taken care of. This problem was taken care of 4 years ago but I still have the same chest pain "events". It almost seems like there is a nerve just under the surface of the skin that flares up for some reason and the massaging of that specific area seems to take care of the problem temporarily. Any suggestions or opinions on what this problem could be would be greatly appreciated - I think short of exploratory surgery my MD is out of ideas on what to try next to determine what the problem might be.....THANK YOU !
 Kim C, RN - Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:59 pm

Have you talked to your MD about consulting a specialist of some sort to assess your problem?? I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to suggest that option.

I am thinking along the same lines as you are... that it is related to some sort of nerve issue. It definitely doesn't sound cardiac in nature.

Try asking about a specialist consultation. I don't know what direction he'd send you in, to be honest. Neurology to rule out a nerve problem? Dermatology due to the large pimple that was there? I don't know, but I'm sure your MD has the answer to that. :D But definitely continue to seek an answer to your problem.

Good luck to you, and I hope you find some resolution to your pain.

|