Question: Sharp, shooting chest pain

jmarie115 - Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:39 pm

For about a year or so now I have been sporadically been having sharp, shooting pains in the center of my chest. I have not noticed them being induced by anything (i.e. food, exercise). The pains usually last approximately one minute and occur maybe once every three to four weeks. I don't recall it ever radiating off that spot. I typically just sit and wait for the pain to cease, sometimes I rub my chest. Could this be related to something more serious, or is it more than likely something I should just ignore?

Thanks!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:12 pm

User avatar Dear jmarie115,

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves.
They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.

Sometimes Chest pain is not originating from the chest itself; instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include IBS, Gastritis and Gastric ulcer, GER. But these medical problems are usually related to meals and are not related to deep breath or physical exercises. Pain in the center of the chest can be due to esophageal causes like esophageal spasm and esophagitis or due to GERD.

People with GERD will experience one or more of these symptoms,
swallowing problems
Chest pain,
Pain in the throat,
Morning hoarseness, and
Discomfort in the chest
Others may experience a feeling like the food stuck in their throat or tightness in the throat, dry Cough and Shortness of breath. These symptoms are mainly due to inflammation of the esophagus(esophagus)

Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in Chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles. Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of Chest pain.

Cardiac causes, should be excluded in any case of Chest pain.

Psychological or emotional stress and anxiety, in these cases the diagnosis is made by exclusion of other causes.

You need to be examined by your doctor, since the pain you described can be any of these causes. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

|