News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   



Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Chest pain & Soreness on Right Side Only

 rwright36515 - Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:48 pm

About 9 days ago I noticed pain under my rib cage starting under my arm, back and across my right chest. It is almost like a sore pain...not a sharp or stabbing pain. When I cough, or turn a certain way it really hurts and feels like a hot searing pain. Heat does not relieve it, nor do arthritic ointments. Cold in a pool actually make it throb worse. I have had x-rays which show nothing. A pulmonary function test.....passed with 80%. When I touch the ribs...they do not hurt.....but if I press in on the ribs.. it does hurt. What can this be and what can I take to relieve the pain. I don't feel sick internally. It just hurts.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:58 am

User avatar Dear rwright36515,
Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation are common causes for chest pain. This usually occurs after attacks of asthma, shortness of breath, chest infections and cough, when the respiratory and chest wall muscles are overworked and in spasm or strain. Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of chest pain. They all are associated with tenderness over the affected areas. In all of these conditions the chest pain is usually aggravated by taking deep breath, cough or while doing certain movements like bending to one side of the chest. They usually improve with physiotherapy, muscle exercise, pain killers, muscle relaxants. Avoiding exposure to cold humid environment is very important to improve the symptoms. The symptoms you described are more likely to be caused by a myoskeletal problem that mandate complete history taking and thorough physical examination. So I advise you to take an appointment with your doctor for proper management.
Best regards,


Check a doctor's response to similar questions


advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application


 advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)



Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2016
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.