News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Numothorax

tomek45 - Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:35 am

:? Hi, I am currently 48 years old. When I was 18 I was diagnosed with Spontaneous Numothorax and spent a week in the hospital resting until the problem healed on it's own. At that time my symtoms were; severe pain in the chest, shortness of breath, and constant burping of air. The doctors told me that the lung was not collapsed but a lot of air was formed around the heart, indicated by the x-rays, and every time I inhaled the air put pressure on the heart. My x-rays were up for x-ray of the month due to the rarity and multiple doctors visited my room to listen to my chest. Via a stethascope it sounded like someone squeezing a ball of paper. I believe what caused this problem was the fact that for some reason I tend to take huge deep breaths from getting ocassionally very hypor and that night continually did that for a few hours or more. Since then I have had reacurrence of the same symtoms about once every five to ten years. A few times I have visited a doctor about it but they seem to shrug it off as nothing seriuos.
I am currently experiencing the same symptoms. A few days ago, for what ever reason, I started taking these huge deep breaths again (note: lots of time I take these deep breaths while I am eating because I feel I can't get my breath) I am currently having pain and pressure in the middle part of my chest and I am consistently burping air. This has been going on for about four days now. I just don't know what to do about it. For now I will do what I usually do, try not to take anymore deep breaths, rest, and hope it clears up within a few weeks or so. It is very frustrating. Do you have any thoughts or advice for me? Thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:43 am

User avatar Hi tomek45,
If you have experience and been diagnosed with a spontaneous pneumothorax in the past and are now presenting with similar symtoms I would strongly suggest an evaluation. Serious medical problems can ensue when conditions are ignored and left to worsen.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here