Question: Numothorax

tomek45 - Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:35 am

:? Hi, I am currently 48 years old. When I was 18 I was diagnosed with Spontaneous Numothorax and spent a week in the hospital resting until the problem healed on it's own. At that time my symtoms were; severe pain in the chest, shortness of breath, and constant burping of air. The doctors told me that the lung was not collapsed but a lot of air was formed around the heart, indicated by the x-rays, and every time I inhaled the air put pressure on the heart. My x-rays were up for x-ray of the month due to the rarity and multiple doctors visited my room to listen to my chest. Via a stethascope it sounded like someone squeezing a ball of paper. I believe what caused this problem was the fact that for some reason I tend to take huge deep breaths from getting ocassionally very hypor and that night continually did that for a few hours or more. Since then I have had reacurrence of the same symtoms about once every five to ten years. A few times I have visited a doctor about it but they seem to shrug it off as nothing seriuos.
I am currently experiencing the same symptoms. A few days ago, for what ever reason, I started taking these huge deep breaths again (note: lots of time I take these deep breaths while I am eating because I feel I can't get my breath) I am currently having pain and pressure in the middle part of my chest and I am consistently burping air. This has been going on for about four days now. I just don't know what to do about it. For now I will do what I usually do, try not to take anymore deep breaths, rest, and hope it clears up within a few weeks or so. It is very frustrating. Do you have any thoughts or advice for me? Thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:43 am

User avatar Hi tomek45,
If you have experience and been diagnosed with a spontaneous pneumothorax in the past and are now presenting with similar symtoms I would strongly suggest an evaluation. Serious medical problems can ensue when conditions are ignored and left to worsen.

|