Question: Chest Pain/Headaches/Continual Abdomen Pain

PunkGrl - Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:00 am

I am 20 year old female. I had my gallbladder removed when I was around 13. My mom, aunt and grandmother all had theirs removed- my mom on the same day- we all had stones.

Over the past few years I have had gradually increasing abdominal pains. Over the past year - year and a half, the pains have gotten more severe. It seems that 8 out of 10 times I eat I have a bowel movement. Sometimes I don't even get to finish my meal before. I also have abdominal pains without eating and sometimes are relieved by a bowel movement. More often then not it is diahrea. I have been to the doctor and without any testing was told it was IBS. I took the medicine-dicycolime for a little while, did nothing. That was almost a year ago. Since then I have been to the doctor for another reason... the chest pain.

About 8 weeks ago I was driving around town and had a sudden sharp pain on the center *left* side of my chest. I went home and laid down for a little while and the pain went away. The next day I was driving home again from our stateline, about 45 minutes away. Still far out of reach of a hospital, the sharp chest pain came back again. This time it was a little more right in the center. This time it felt more severe. My fiance was driving and got us to the hospital as fast as he could. By that time it had calmed a bit and was starting to go away. So I decided to go see my parents. I told my mom what was going on and she thought it was just indigestion. I took some rolaids to see if it would help. To my knowledge, it didn't cause it slowly went away like it did the day before The pain lingered for quite sometime til eventually I bent over and all of a sudden could barely breathe. I was taking short puffs of breathe as we drove to the ER (which is a 15 min+ drive!!) We got there, by then I was crying almost hysterically. They signed me in... and of course 30+ minutes later I was called into the office so they could take my pulse and ask what was wrong... After that I continued to wait and wait and wait to go back... and then continue w/o any visit by the staff for hours. Finally when the doc came in to take a listen to my lungs, the pain was gone. I was fine. So they did a chest xray, gave me some lortab perscription, told me there was nothing wrong and that maybe my chest was inflammed.

The pain persisted for a few days, with shortness of breathe and right sided chest pain. Eventually my entire right side of the chest, not just the center was in pain. My right underarm to my chest and breast was throbbing with pain. It felt/looked like my underarm area and about an inch out toward my chest was swollen. My left underam had a swollen lymph node, which I had before 4 or so months ago. Two week sor so went by the pain went away, or was very minimal and was every other day or so with a few moderate pains. I wanted to see the doctor but was working out an insurance problem. During that time I started having severe right sided headaches as well. I had a lot of pressure behind the right eye, pain in the right temple, in the head above and behind the ear following down towards the right side of my neck/spine area. My vision would go blurry in my right eye throught the headaches. One time my right upper eyelid swelled really bad and made my eye close half-way. That's when it really started to worry me. Additionally, I started to get a hard knot/lump on my left abdomen right below my breast that would throb with pain as it seemed for no apparent reason. Occasionally with a smaller lump on the left side.

Finally I got into the doctor about 3 weeks ago. He felt around my stomach and did not feel anything - the lumps and pain only appear occasionally so he felt nothing wrong. He did an EKG and found nothing wrong with my heart either. He decided to put me on 600mg of ibuprofen 4 times a day - he thought I had costrochondits (inflammation of the cartlige between the lungs and ribs) and then if it persisted after 3 days to go to the cardiologist referal. Then follow up with him in a week to go further with the headaches and stomach problems.

Well, it seemed that the ibrprofen had worked so no cardiologist.. I went back to the doctor a week later and said I hadn't had much pain. Maybe a dull ache here and there. So he decided to move on to my stomach against my request of going with my headaches - as I have been dealing with stomach problems for quite some time, I have learned to deal with it. He put me on levsin - only to take when needed and told me to continue with the ibuprofen for the chest only when needed instead of every 4 hours. To take away the pain from the headaches, he also game me a small dosed persciption of lortab.... He said he thought it was IBS too - even though I told him the last medicine I had (bentyl-dicycolmine) had not worked, and my pain didn't coincide with the reasons IBS has for acting up. He said it was strange that denser-fibrous foods made it act up worse so he wanted to send me to a GI doctor while taking the med - and then to follow up with him in two weeks.

In the mean time, I went to see an eye doctor. My mom is an optician and the doctor where she works checked out my eyes. She first did an eye exam and found that my right eye was barley .25 off. She said it was very minimal but would have me get glasses to wear when I am on the computer & studying to maybe ease any strain it is causing. She then dialated my eyes. She was worried that the pressure I was feeling may have been an early sign for glaucoma. She checked it and everything looked normal. But she noticed my extreme sensitivity to light. My left eye had a normal light sensitivity response to dialation, but my right eye was pretty sever. But it seems my eyes have been light sensitive for quite some time anyway, especially with my headaches. She said if the pain persisted after two weeks with the glasses to see a neurologist - and also to ask my family doctor for a perscription of I...?? - something for migraines.

Now it has been a week and a half - not two weeks yet (when I follow up with the family doctor) and I had to make an emergency appointmen. My chest pains came back half a week ago while we were at the movies. It started with a gradually pain increasing headache, and then the chest pains started. We started heading home and turned back to go to the emergency room. The pain was sharp again, and all over the right side. Very sensitive to the touch. My breath was short and very painful. But by the time we got there the pain had almost gone away so I went back home. A few days went by and then again the pain came back severly. I dealt with it until the next day. I was in a lot of pain, even my mouth and back of throat was a little sore and sensitive when I inhaled, plus I had a bad headache so I went and saw the doctor. By the time I got into see him the pain wasnt as severe, but it was still there. He said the pain in my mouth and the higher chest pain was acid reflux from the ibuprofen. I didnt agree with it, as the pain was the same feeling I felt lower in my right chest. Anyway, he decided to give me another cardiologist referal within 48 hours (I am still waiting on) for a stress test. He also told me to take one 81mg aspirin a day until I saw him again (after we got the results from the stress test). He also put me on perscription for Aciphex for acid refulx - he said it would take 3 days for it to work so to take maylox or mylanta in the mean time. Funny though, because he said the refulx was from ibuporfen and to stop taking it. Why would I need a two month perscription for an acid refulx disease medication? I got the perscription anyway, and started taking it today. I think we are going in the wrong direction... Anyway, aside from that I told him I was really worried about my headaches. He said he would deal with that later, cause he wants to put me on a migraine medication, but if something is wrong with my heart, the medication could give me a heart attack... He said to continue taking lortab for the pain when needed and dismissed it.

I am in a bit of pain right now. A couple hours ago I had a terrible pain at the base of my skull-where it meets my neck. It was tender to the touch and very painful. The pain even stemmed moderatly down my spine. I put a cold rag on it and took a lortab. Now, two hours later, the pain has moved more from there to my right temple. It isnt as strong, but theres also a lot pressure.

I don't know what is wrong with me. I don't think my doctor is going in the right direction. I can't help but think there might be a coralation between the chest pain and the headaches... As they are both on the same started, and started about the same time. Some of the things I've looked up online have scared me to where I am afraid to look anything else up... Things from the coxsackie virus - which causes meningits as well as plyueridia, etc., to lupus, brain tumors, and more... Lupus seems like a good posibilty but the doctor doesnt think the pains are related. Coxsackie virus fits good as well. Before this all started I had constant canker sores for a few weeks... and during I had one as well... which is the start of it.... anyway. I know you can fit a lot of symptoms to a lot of diseases so I probably shouldnt try.. I am just scared and worried. When I was having gallblader pains it took them almost two years to find out that it was my gallblader that was causing it... with multiple sonograms and all..and people checking for stones in it... I don't want this to be the same situation. It is straining my daily life. I don't feel like doing much anymore and havent gone to school since this started. I am also worried that there might be something severely wrong that needs immediate attention, and by the time I get it it might be too late...

Any help is welcome.
Thanks,
Renee

PS the lingering chest pain is kind of heavy and burning feeling. I make a little bit of a wheezing/whistling sound out of my mouth when I breathe.. Very faint, ususally only hear it when I am laying down to sleep. I thought maybe something was wrong with my lungs, but the doc said he does not hear anything so dismissed it.
 PunkGrl - Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:08 am

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have been feeling nauseated quite often...maybe more so with the headaches.
 PunkGrl - Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:10 am

Just wanted to give an update... It took me a while to get to sleep last night because of the pain. this morning I got up and have been in excrutiating pain since.. my chest is aching, my head throbbing.. and mostly the chest pain is on the left side now..a little on the right. my head is hurting in both temples and the top of my head... im nauseated... my entire back is killing me, with paing in my upper arms as well... my jaw has been feeling tight lately.. i tried to stretch it out a little earlier and it sent a sharp pain to my left temple... i feel absolutely horrible.. its like nothingI have ever experienced before..and the lortab does not help... any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
 Dublin1982 - Mon May 04, 2009 6:46 pm

Hey Punk Grl,

Hey Big slow,

I'm getting similar symptoms myself.

I haven't had gallstones or anything before, but I've had a pretty delicate stomach for quite some time and often have a bowel movement after eating, especially fatty foods. I just ignore this for the most part.

I've been having weird sharp chest pain in my sternum for about a month now if not a bit longer. Then for the last 2 weeks I've been getting what seems like a sinus problem. (pressure building up at my temples and behind my ears that is eased by popping my ears)

I saw 2 GPs about the chest pains and they couldn't shed any light on it. I haven't been since the sinus problems started.

If you've found out anything more in the meantime can you please let me know?

The pains all get really bad in bed and it's ruining my sleeping patterns and driving me nuts.

Thanks.
 Jacks7722 - Sun May 17, 2009 5:22 pm

i have the same problem =/

|