News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Chest Pain that comes and goes for a long time

ianlange11 - Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:55 am

Hi, I am 15 years old and am very active, I am a runner and mountainbiker and do other things aswell. For the past few months I have been getting a pain in my left chest when i try to take deep breaths. When this happens I am not doing anything and am usually on the computer or just sitting somewhere. It has happened about 3-4 times(in the past few months) so far and goes away for a long time. The pain only last for about 5 or so minutes but it worries me. I also think it might happen after I raise my left arm, but I'm not sure because I raise it a lot in a day and nothing ever happens. Thank you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:43 pm

User avatar Dear ianlange11,
More details are needed to describe the pain you experience. Is this pain increase with deep breath and cough (pleurisy)? Is it associated with attacks of productive cough and fever (bacterial infection-bronchitis)? Is it associated with dry cough and generalized fatigue (viral infection)? Is there any tenderness over the chest (muscle and bone pain).
Inflammation of the pleura covering the lung (pleurisy), is a very common sequel of Flu, and viral or bacterial chest infection. Pleurisy causes a pain that is sharp in character, increasing with deep breath or Cough and is associated with Shortness of breath. In sensitive and asthmatic people it is easier to have repeated chest infection especially after exposure to certain allergens as moist air, dust mites, pollens and molds. Auscultation of the chest is of utmost importance in all cases of Chest pain.
Only with complete history, physical examination and investigations your doctor can identify the possible cause of the pain. I advise you to visit your doctor to identify the possible cause of this pain.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here