Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Pain in Chest

stormyluv269 - Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:56 pm

At 16 I smoked a lot of weed and went numb. I thought I was having a stroke so my sister called 911. I refused medical service. Shortly after that I began getting serious anxiety attacks... racing pulse, chest pain, weakness, fear of dying. After many trips to the ER and always a diagnosis of an anxiety attack and twice that 'my rapid weight loss was putting pressure on my chest', I learned to overcome the chest pain to where i wouldn't have a full blown anxiety attack. The thing is... I get this chest pain sometimes when I'm sitting there watching tv or playing a game on the computer... not at all in a situation that would trigger an anxiety attack. I've even gotten chest pain while i was sleeping bad enough to wake me. I'm afraid that there may be something else wrong the doctors just haven't looked for. I've had two EKG's done in the ER... once when I was 16 and once recently when I had broncitis. Both were normal. I've never had any further testing done from a doctor. Is it possible the ER could have overlooked something further testing could pick up on? I'm scared I'll have a stroke or heart attack one day, as it runs rampid in my family and I've been diagnosed as 'obese' almost my entre life. PLEASE HELP! I'm tired of being scared at every pang that I may be dying. Am I looking into things or should I request they look into this chest pain? It goes so far as me actually having pain in my arms and neck, or where I feel 'weak' and numb in my legs. I've noticed that when I eat healthier (going on and off diets) I tend to get pain in my chest less often. Is this all in my head? And if so why while I'm sleeping? Thanks.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:54 pm

User avatar Stormyluv,
Chest pain is always a serious complaint. It seems that your doctors haven't taken it lightly either, they have requested an EKG and that came out normal. Chest pain can be caused by many things, such as diseases of the esophagus and stomach. Ofcourse, like you said, the main concern is that its caused by a problem in the heart. Usually we categorize patients with chest pain as high and low risk (risk of having a heart problem). Your age ofcourse, is favourable but your obesity and your family history are a bit scary. Your doctors have determined that for now you have a healthy heart. Your only therapy for now is primarily weight loss. A recent very large study compared 4 common diet regimes available on the market and found that all of them reduced risk of heart disease.

|