News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Constant Mild Chest Pain

Spaktor - Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:21 pm

I'm a 32 year old 220 lb White Male. I have smoked cigarettes on and off (currently off) over the years but am an active outdoorsman. I do not have any trouble breathing or finding myself tiring quickly - but I have been experiencing mild pains in my left lower front and side chest lately...They rise and fall about every five or six minutes....around the clock...The last time I saw a doctor he said my lungs sounded fine and he had never seen lower blood pressure (that was about a year ago). Aside from this I feel great - - Should I start writing my will?

Thanks for any insight!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:30 pm

User avatar Dear Spaktor,

It would be of great help if you could describe more the character of that pain, (nature, exact site, exaggerating factors, other associated symptoms and signs).

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves.
They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.

Inflammation of the pleura (pleurisy) covering the lung gives a sharp pain that is associated with shortnesss of breath and Cough. The pain increases when taking deep breath, and coughing. Viral infection is the commonest cause of Pleurisy.

Overexertion of the chest wall muscles (spasm) or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in Chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves, posture and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles. Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of Chest pain.

Cardiac causes, should be excluded in any case of chest pain with symptoms similar to that of cardiac ischemia (I can not tell from the information you have given how related they are to cardiac causes).

Sometimes Chest pain is not originating from the chest itself; instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include IBS, Gastritis, these medical problems are usually related to meals and are not related to deep breath or physical exercises.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here