News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Asthma

Question: ASTHMA/ Aspergillosis

DOTBOWELS - Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:15 pm

I was diagnosed recently with Allergic Broncho Pullmonary Aspergillosis. I am on 60mg of Prednisone daily as well as 400mg Sporanex (200mg am & pm). I am a 54 year old male.

My doctor told me my total IGE was 3872 and my IGE Specific was 78. Is there any way of finding out what these numbers mean? Are they low or high for most people ? I have looked all over the internet to find meaning to these numbers.

Thank you very much!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:27 pm

User avatar Significant elevations of serum IgE concentrations are seen in patients with allergic disease, parasitism and bronchopulmonary aspergillosis, extrinsic asthma, urticaria and atopic eczema, IgE myeloma and hyperimmunoglobulin E Staph abscess syndrome (Buckley, Job syndromes).
The reference levels for IgE are less than 100 IU/mL. Atopic disease is likely if more than 375 IU/mL. Extreme elevations of 800-25000 IU/mL are associated with severe atopic dermatitis, allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis among other things.

Allergen specific IgE Antibody levels tests the level of IgE in response to a certain specific antigen. In your case this is the aspergillus antigen. Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis can be diagnosed by several criteria including elevated total serum IgE levels and the presence of allergen-specific IgE and IgG antibodies.

Your doctor has determined that you have aspergillosis and that it is the cause of your asthma.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here