Question: Chest tightness with peripheral tingling

tightness77 - Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:35 pm

I have been experiencing a moderate to strong tightness in the center of my chest, 3-4 inches below the base of my throat. This lasts for hours to days at a time. At times I can also feel the tightness in my upper abdomen, just below my sternum. At times this tightness is accompanied by tingly feelings in the fingers, feet and face. I also get pain in my left arm near my triceps and the back of my left shoulder. I sleep on my left side every night if that means anything.

I have had several stress tests that have all come back negative as well as multiple chest xrays. Years ago I had an echo, but that was long before I started to have this chest tightness. It came back fine.

What should I do at this point? On days that I don't have the tightness, I am able to exercise without issue, but on days with the tightness I get fatigued very quickly. My cardiologist is reluctant to do a cardiac cath with the negative stress tests.

I greatly appreciate any insight that you can bring to my condition.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:34 pm

User avatar Your symptoms are suggestive of many causes including:

Cardiac causes, should be excluded in any case of Chest pain although your symptoms are not typical.
Investigations include: ECG, stress ECG, Echocradiography and Cardiac catheter if needed.

In appropriate contraction of the throat or esophageal muscles causes Chest pain that can be severe and sometimes is felt as tightness in the chest with difficult swallowing and bad breathing.

I would also suggest that these symptoms could represent Panic attacks.
The symptoms of a Panic attack appear suddenly, without any apparent cause. They may include

Racing or pounding heartbeat
Chest pains
Dizziness, lightheadedness, Nausea
Difficulty breathing
Tingling or numbness in the extremities
Flushes or chills
A Panic attack typically lasts for several minutes and is one of the most distressing conditions that a person can experience.

For more information visit our web site:
http://www. thedoctorslounge. net/psychiatry/diseases/panic. htm

|