Question: strange chest/body symptoms, very scared

RangerXT - Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:58 pm

I am a 25 year old male. I do not smoke, drink, or do drugs. I have been very physically active for the last 2 years having completed a marathon and 1/2 marathon in fairly good times. Recently, about 3 months ago, I began getting tired. I thought that maybe I just needed a rest so I cut back on the exercise. Prior to these last two years I was a fairly fat fellow and had finally had enough and got in shape. Around wednesday last week I began to feel really run down. As the days went on I felt worse and worse. On saturday I woke up and had some pretty strange numbness in both of my arms and some upper chest pain that seems to generate more to the left. I also get pain in both of my arms. It is mostly stabbing pain or perhaps a dull ache. It presists for a long period of time and seems to go away if I lay down awhile. I am also having pain in many areas all over my body that seem to go from dull to sharp stabbing. I also had some pretty extreme weakness at times during the week. As the week has gone on the numbness has seemed to have been greatly reduced but still present in a reduced form. Most of the random pain remains, most notably in the chest. I went to the doctor on sunday and she told me my heart and lungs sounded fine and my blood pressure was good. I have never had blood taken before but she sent me for tests. They took 6 vials out of me and I am still waiting for the results. The pain I get in my chest does not seem to be a very deep pain, and seems to be affected if I rub the area. I realize that both heart attacks and angina shouldn't be affected by touching, but this pain seems to be. I was wondering if anyone could give me any idea what this could be if not a heart related. Or if it could be heart related and I should get myself to the emergency room now and avoid delay. I do not suffer any shortness of breath and can seem to remain active during this pain. The weakness seems to have passed for the most part and I would like to resume jogging but I am afraid of dropping dead in my tracks. Oh and a possible unrelated note in the last week or so I seem to have developed a small cold. It doesn't really seem to affect my chest at all and is more of a 'back of the throat/nose' type cold so I would guess it's unrelated but am unsure. Having been fairly healthy my entire life, even when fat, I am really scared about what is happening to me. I would like to thank anyone who gives me any reply to this.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:13 pm

The symptoms you have described are very suggestive of viral infection, muscle pain and spasm.

Muscle spasm is a body reaction to injury in tissues
Causes of muscle injury include:
Muscle fatigue
Heavy exercise
Viral infections, Flu
Metabolic abnormalities like low Magnesium level and Hypocalcemia

The correct diagnosis is easier when other symptoms exist.
In your condition, Viral infection and an associated muscle pain and spasm are more likely to be the cause. The throat and ear problems are mostly of viral origin and your other constitutional symptoms are due to viremia.

In addition to the specific treatment of the underlying cause,
In these cases, Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy. Eating well and a healthy diet are also helpful.

|