Question: Chest pain left side & left side of back hurting comes&a

wakeinpain - Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:47 am

Hi I am a 23year old male. And in the last 5 months I've been getting chest pain around the left side of my chest. The pain is almost of that of your back feeling like its being ripped apart. It has also progressed into my back and that hurts from my mid back up over my ribs to where the chest pain is. I have had 2 EKGS. An echo and a CAT SCAN. All of which came back normal except the cat scan which showed a a small nodule in my upper left lung. My doctor says its probably nothing and wants a follow up scan in 6 months. However since last night the pain progressed down into my left abdomine which also hurts now. The pain usually comes and goes in about 15-30 minutes or so. However i got the pain last night and its still here this morning. Anyone have any ideas maybe something my doctor isnt thinking about. Also im not sure if its got anything to do with it but i have been getting frequent nose bleeds atleast twice a week. If anyone has any idea what might be wrong or how i can treat it let me know its painful and consistent and i could do without it. Thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:54 pm

User avatar Dear wakeinpain,

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves.
It is more likely that the pain you feel is due to one of these causes:
Overexertion of the chest wall muscles (spasm) or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in Chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves posture, and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles.

Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of Chest pain.

Muscle spasm is a body reaction to injury in tissues
Causes of muscle injury include:
Muscle fatigue
Heavy exercise
Maintained wrong postures

Self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy. Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial

Sometimes Chest pain is not originating from the chest itself; instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include IBS, Gastritis, and spleen disorders.These medical problems are usually related to meals and are not related to deep breath or physical exercises. Careful history, examination and abdominal US can help in the diagnosis.

Having bleeding tendency, mandate complete blood picture and other blood tests to search for an underlying cause.

Cardiac causes, should be excluded in any case of chest pain as your doctor did. Other tests to exclude cardiac causes include Stress ECG, cardiac catheter and Echocardiography.

The lung nodule in the upper part of the left lung is to be followed up by CT chest regularly although it is a remote possibility to be the cause of the pain, but it may be related to the underlying problem if any is discovered later.

If the pain is progressing, you have to follow up with your doctor and to update him with these symptoms. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

Keep us updated.

|