Question: Chest tightness over heart, external chest pain too...age 27

Nifty - Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:11 pm

I am female, 27, and having a lot of tightness in the chest in area over my heart. I am a non smoker, normal blood pressure. The area over the heart, and joining the sternum in the middle is very tender to the touch, feels bruised. I haven't injured it in any way. I have no idea what could be causing this; it almost feels like my heart is very heavy, like a stone, and like someone is pushing hard with thier hand right over the heart. I am slightly short of breath. I realized everyone says non-smoking females with no risk factors are relatively immume to heart problems, but why is the pain right in the heart area? It has been constant for about a week now. I have also heard that heart pain will not cause pain on the outside of the body, but the bruised feeling seems to be both inside & outside....I know I'm being confusing...sorry. Any info would be so very much appreciated...HELP!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:52 pm

User avatar Dear Nify,
Anginal pain is usually felt as Crushing pain in the middle of your chest, squeezing pain in the chest or left upper arm that is associated with sweating or Shortness of breath and radiates to the neck and left shoulder. Anginal pains are very characteristic although there are some forms of atypical Chest pain of cardiac origin.

The fact that you have tenderness on the part where you feel the pain indicates a myoskeletal origin for this pain. Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in Chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles. Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of Chest pain. They are also tenderness over the affected areas. In all of these conditions the Chest pain is usually aggravated by taking deep breath and Cough. Costochondritis is a known cause of chest pain that is associated with tenderness near the sternum and is associated with painful breathing.

If the pain is persistent or increasing you have to be checked by your Doctor. Only by complete history, and physical examination the proper management can be done.

twothirds75 - Fri May 01, 2009 9:33 am

Dear Nifty,

Thanks for your post. I experience teh exact same thing--bruised feeling over heart muscle in chest. I realize you posted 4 years ago; did you ever get a diagnoses? If so, can you tell me a bit about it?

Thanks,
AW
 miseris - Mon May 04, 2009 12:06 am

I am a 21 year old female also experiencing the exact same symptoms. If either of you figure out what this is, please let me know. I have had these symptoms for 3 months.
 mslady - Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:47 pm

Hi there, I'm 25 years old, recently got diagnosed with severe anemia. To correct it, I've been getting IV-iron treatments and I received one blood transfusion. After each treatment, I get a heavy feeling in the middle of my chest and trouble breathing on and off. This normally lasts for 2 to 3 days and then goes away. After a while, it became more frequent, lasting a week at a time. I was referred to a pulmonary specialist - turns out, I have asthma. When the chest tightness starts, I use the inhaler, it works quickly but then the symptoms come back within the hour. I'm having a harder time breathing now than before, and now I've had, for the past couple of days, a frequent sharp pain in my right breast, sharper when I breath inward. So now, I have trouble breathing, heaviness and pain in my chest, and fatigue in my arms. I want to know two things, are the two diseases and/or their treatments linked and can anyone explain to me what's going on in my body??? Please help!!!

|