Question: Could it be a pulled muscle?

MyHeadHurts - Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:20 pm

Okay..I am a 26 yr old mother of 4. In 2003 while pregnant I came down with pneumonia twice. After the birth of the baby I had a constant burning pain going through the left of my chest. After waiting to see if it would go away I took myself to the hospital and there they did x-rays and told me that it was a pulled muscle. I am still having pain two years later and am wondering if I should go back to the doctor for this problem or if its more than likely the pulled muscle. Feels like my chest is cracking, in a sharp sort of pain. Hopefully I can get some advice. Thanks for reading! :)
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:55 pm

User avatar Dear MyHeadHurts,

It would have been more helpful if you described more the character of this pain and if there are any other related symptoms or signs. However I would give you a general idea about what it could be.

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves. They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.

- It sounds like muscle spasm is the cause of your symptoms.

Muscle spasm alone can cause this pain which can be an unidentified cause but in many cases is the result of inappropriate posture for long time like traveling, driving and certain types of work.

Self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy. Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.

If these measures fail to relief the pain or to improve symptoms in 48 hours, you should visit your doctor for better evaluation and for exclusion of other causes that need specific therapy.

Other causes should be excluded like:

Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura, which is a double-layered membrane covers the lungs separating it from the rib cage. Viral infections like flu, are the most common cause of pleurisy. The pain is felt as sharp pain which get worse by coughing, sneezing, moving and deep breathing.auscultation of the chest shows a characteristic sound known as pleural rub.

Sometimes chest pain is not originating from the chest itself; instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include IBS, gastritis and gastric ulcer, gall bladder disease, GER.

Cardiac causes, should be excluded in any case of Chest pain although it is likely to be in your case (young age, non typical symptoms).

|