Question: Chest pain just left of center of chest

Toledo025 - Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:04 am

Hi all,
I have gone to the doctor a numerous amount of times to find the answer to a dull ache just left of the center of my chest. I have had a stress test done and it came back negative but there was a problem with me being fatigued after the test. I am currently taking lisinopril and provanchol. Every time I go to ER they tell me the same thing. I didn't have a heart attack and it is probably muscular. The one issue I have with that diagnosis is that the dull ache has continued off and on for 6 months. I don't know where to go from here and if I should be worried about this. The doctors have done multiple tests with x rays and ekg tests and all have come back negative. The one other symptom I have is at night my heart beats very hard. It almost feels like it is coming out of my chest while I am trying to relax. I am a smoker and drink alcohol two times a week. 25 years old and do not exercise often but used to on a daily basis. If anyone could help me it would be much appreciative.
Thank You
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:03 am

User avatar Dear Toledo025,

Lisinopril is a drug used to treat specific conditions like hypertension and congestive heart failure.
I do not understand why this drug has been prescribed to you if all your tests are normal.
Pravachol is a drug that decrease the production of cholesterol aiming to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis, stoke and heart disease.
It would be very helpful if you can inform us about the reports of the results of your blood tests, ECG and the Stress ECG or any other investigations that have been done.

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves.
They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.

Cardiac causes, should be excluded in any case of chest pain especially if the pain is similar to that caused by cardiac ischemia. Some other cardiac causes like Mitral Valve prolapse give pain that may be similar to that of ischemic heart disease and is usually associated with palpitation.These conditions should be investigated by ECG, stress ECG, Echocradiography and cardiac catheter if needed.

Muscle spasm due to wrong movement or maintained wrong posture can cause muscle pain which can be felt as chest pain according to the affected muscles. However, the pain is related to movement and the affected muscles are painful upon pressing(tender).

Inflammation of the pleura (pleurisy) covering the lung gives a sharp pain that is associated with Cough and is more severe when taking deep breath. Viral infection is the commonest cause of Pleurisy.

Sometimes Chest pain is not originating from the chest itself; instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include IBS, Gastritis and Gastric ulcer, gall bladder disease, GER. But these medical problems are usually related to meals and are not related to deep breath or physical exercises.

I advise you to be checked by a cardiologist. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

|