Question: Lump in throat feeling?

wallyg55 - Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:02 pm

Thanks so much ahead of time for your time/assistance. I've had this intermittent feeling of a lump in my throat (below Adam's Apple) when I swallow or breath. Sometimes it feels like it's hard to breath with it, but I'm also freaking out about it. Seems to have started around the time I took up an exercise regime after a long period of being out of shape. I started about two months ago and have lost about 10 pounds. I'm 26 and have smoked since I was 16, albeit it took some time to work myself up to my current level of self destruction (1 pack to 1.5 a day). It comes and goes; for example, in the morning I don't even really notice it, but after I smoke a lot or drink diet coke (I drink ridiculous amounts of that a day too) it is a more pronounced feeling. I don't notice it so much when I excercise. I did the water and neck check and didn't see anything odd, although I've always had a fairly pronounced Adam's Apple, and any amount of worry about this now could convince me that it feels "different." Thanks again, and I hope I'm not being a hypochondriac. I'm freaked out that it's some kind of larnyx or thyroid cancer or something.
 wallyg55 - Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:14 pm

Could it be asthma? The more I focus on it, the more it seems to come and go around times when I smoke. It completely goes away when I exercise. I've never had problems in the past nor have I known anyone in my family with asthma.

|