Question: Chest pains/ breathing problems

Mole - Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:05 am

Hi, im 16yro male, about a year ago i was submitted to hospital with breaths problems, they took chest x-rays wich showd while substances in my lungs. Now a year later i am finding it dificalt to breath, my heart will increas in speed and beat harder, my breathing also becomes faster, it feels like i have just run 20miles. Could this be a chest or heart problem and what should i do about it, this is now happening more often, about 3/4 times aday, after taking my inhaler there will be no changes or it will make it worse, i have to inhalers, one salamol and one beclomethasone dipropionate, the second one was given to me when i had a chest infection, i tend not to use this one as i don't know what is does, your help would be great and sorry for any spelling mistakes :)
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:12 pm

User avatar Dear Mole,

I did not understand very well what did they find in your chest X-ray, however, I assume that it was a form of chest infection after which you have been diagnosed to be an asthmatic.
Asthma is due to an inflammatory process in the respiratory airway a disease. The inflammation results in spasm of the muscles of the bronchial way with swollen cells in the airway lining, as a sequence narrowing of the respiratory tract and decreased airflow.
Wheezing is the most common presenting symptom for asthma. It usually begins suddenly, worsens at night or in early morning, aggravated by exposure to certain allergens such as, as moist air, molds, dust mites, pollens and molds. Symptoms are also exacerbated with exercise, heartburn (reflux), analgesics such as NSAID and chest infections. Wheezing usually resolves either spontaneously, or by the use of antibiotics to treat bronchitis.
Other patients presents with cough with or without sputum (phlegm), Chronic shortness of breath that is aggravated with exercises and mandate the us of accessory respiratory muscles.

Symptoms are usually periodic and vary in duration, may last from few minutes up to few days. Asthmatic symptoms usually improve with age especially in children.
Personal and/or family history of allergies are present in most patients with asthma, like allergic rhinitis (hay fever) or eczema.
Diagnosis is made by careful history and examination. Auscultation of the chest during the episode shows the very characteristic wheezing sounds. In between attacks the chest is normal on examination and some Tests may help to diagnose the condition include:
Lung function tests
• Peak flow measurements
• Chest x-ray
• Allergy skin or blood tests
• Arterial blood gas
• Oesinophile count (a type of white blood cell)
Treatment include, identifying the allergens and respiratory irritants and to avoid them. In addition, Common allergens like dust mites, cockroach allergens, molds, and pollens and Common respiratory irritants include: tobacco smoke, pollution, and fumes from burning wood or gas should be avoided.
There are two basic kinds of medication for the treatment of asthma:
People with mild asthma (infrequent attacks) may use relief medication as needed. Those with persistent asthma should take control medications on a regular basis to prevent symptoms from occurring.
A severe asthma attack requires a medical evaluation and may require hospitalization, oxygen, and intravenous medications.
A peak flow meter, is an easy home used device to measure lung volume and to monitor the degree of your asthma. Peak flow of values 50-80% means a moderate asthma attack, while values below 50% means a severe attack.

If your symptoms did not improve on the treatment you are receiving, it means that either you are not receiving the proper treatment or there is an additional problem that recently aggravated the symptoms like chest infection, or you are allergic to certain staff that you have been exposed to recently. I advise you to take an appointment for your consultant for proper management.

|