Question: Chest X-Ray Showed Lymph Issue

queenkrs - Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:34 pm

I had a chest x-ray because I had been having chest pains and I tested possitive for TB a couple years ago. My TB was inactive and I took the proper meds to keep it that way. My chest x-ray showed something wrong with a lymph node in my left lung. I was told that the reading was vague and that I needed a contrast CT scan. I was also told that it could be a precursor for cancer. I'm not even 30 yet... What kind of cancer could it be a precursor for. I should be able to get my CT scan results soon but I'm very nervous. I also have night sweats and a gland that's been swollen in my groin for years.
Thank you for any help you can offer.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:53 pm

User avatar Dear queenkrs,

- Abnormal Lymph node enlargement tends to commonly result from infection / immune response, cancer and less commonly due to infiltration of macrophages filled with metabolite deposits (eg, storage disorders).

Sometimes, following infection Lymph nodes occasionally remain permanently enlarged, though they should be (peripheral nodes) non-tender, small (less the 1 cm), have a rubbery consistency and none of the characteristics described for malignancy or for infection. These are also known as 'Shotty Lymph nodes'.

Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter; however, some authors suggest that epitrochlear nodes larger than 0. 5 cm or inguinal nodes larger than 1. 5 cm should be considered abnormal.

- The occurrence of significant mediastinal lymphadenopathy together with Lung infections like TB is well known.
CT characteristics of enlarged mediastinal nodes can help in prediction the benign from the malignant enlargement. Of these characters is the size comes first, the location and the clinical and the past history of the patient.

An increase in nodal size on serial examinations is significant. Hence nodes that continue to grow in size are to be more investigated with biopsy.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.
Hope you find this information useful. Keep us updated.

|