Question: Sharp Shoulder Pain

NotMyRealName - Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:33 am

For about 2 days now I have had a very sharp pain in my left shoulder. It started out mild and not very painful at all. Now it is so bad that I can't really pick up anything altho if I make myself pick it up it doesn't really hurt any more or less. I don't belive this is muscle related. It hurts the most when I lay on my left side or take a deep breath. The pain has been there all day but it tends to come and go. I have taken 800mg of motrin and that has not helped at all I have also tried taking 160mg of simethicone and that hasn't helped either. If I lay on my right side then it feels like it has gone away untill I move. If I lay on my back it hurts but I can live with it. Right now when I take a deep breath it feels like im being stabed in the shoulder and my lower left back hurts too. I don't know if I should go to the ER I don't have Health Insurance if it just might be gas. I am 22 years old Male and Over weight. I have smoked in the past but do not currently at least for about 6 weeks now. Otherwise in good health.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:44 am

User avatar Dear NotMyRealName,

Inflammation of the pleura covering the lung gives a sharp pain that is associated with cough and is more severe when taking deep breath.
It makes also breathing very difficult.
The condition is due to viral infection in most of the cases.
Being a smoker makes you at higher risk of repeated chest infection.
The condition gradually improves with rest, plenty of fluid. NSAID can help reduce the pain.
If you have a productive cough with yellowish or greenish sputum, or high fever, you should visit your doctor immediately to receive the proper medical care.

Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in Chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles. Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of Chest pain.

Another important factor is nicotine withdrawal that normally results in chest tightness which is believed to be due to lung cleaning, coughing and healing

Hope you find this information useful.

|