Question: chest pain please help

heartpain26 - Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:30 am

Hi to all... i really need someone´s advice on this one i am a filipina living in denmark im 26 years old im working in the morning and in the afternoon ( just some hours) last night i was at friends house we were having dinner and then without any reason at all i felt this chest pain, it was like a needle pointing on the upper part if my breast the left side and going down to my ribs (left side) and also at the back left side only...im experiencing a little pain somtimes but im ignoring it,,like right now while writing this i can feel a litlle pain at that same position but it´s not like last night...last night if i breath deeply the pain is more and evrytime i breath i feel that sharp pain more...but when i feel the pain i have to hold my chest because it was like a knive or needle stubbed on ur chest...sometimes im just sitting in school then suddenly i can feel it and i have to hold it and massage it a little....please give me advice on thi matter..

Thank u in advance

Heart Pain
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:47 pm

User avatar Dear heartpain26,

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves. They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.

Is this pain associated with any tenderness, in another meaning does it hurt you when you press on the place where you experience this pain or any area around? Is it increases when you are exposed to cold air? Is it associated with certain movements? If it is associated with any of these signs, it is probably a myo-skeletal pain.
The fact that you are working all the day makes Muscle strain and spasm is more likely to be considered..

Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles. Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of chest pain. They are also tenderness over the affected areas.

In all of these conditions the chest pain is usually aggravated by taking deep breath and cough. Inflammation of the pleura covering the lung gives a sharp pain that is associated with cough and is more severe when taking deep breath.

If you have not been examined by your doctor after you experienced these symptoms, I advise you to visit him for proper management.

|