Question: Sharp pain in right side of chest!

bellasan - Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:40 am

I just turned 27 years old and I've been experiencing a sharp pain in the right side of my chest, more towards the center but not quite. It happens sporadically but especially when I wake up in the morning. The spot where it hurts exactly is very tender to touch...almost as if I have been hit there & it's bruised but this is not the case. I am somewhat physically active but I do smoke about 10 cigarettes a day and have been smoking since I was 14. Could this be the reason for my chest pain? The pain is not located anywhere else but there. Please help!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:42 pm

User avatar Dear bellasan,
The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves. They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest. each gives a characteristic form of pain together with the signs obtained by physical examination and investigations, the diagnosis can be confirmed.
Pain due to rib or chest wall bone and muscle diseases, is also another cause of chest pain. They are also associated with tenderness over the affected areas which is characteristic for this type of pain.
In all of these conditions the chest pain is usually aggravated by taking deep breath and cough. however, myalgia and muscle strain can be secondary to a primary respiratory problem like asthma, cough, and shortness of breath. have you got any cold attack before you experienced this pain?

I advise you to consult your doctor, as you need to be properly examined and investigated.
Good luck,

|