Question: chest wall pain - now have pain in left hand

nayltek - Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:56 am

I have gone through countless heart testing - and i am diagnosed with GAD - so that would explain chest pains correct??? Well my left hand for 2 days now has had shooting pains going through it - I am a 23 yrs old female - should I be concerned?? I am right handed so I don't really use my left. And it happens more when I am lying down, but i was told never ignore LEFT hand pain - sign of heart attack????
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:44 am

User avatar Dear nayltek,

Although people with GAD tend to exaggerate their feelings, each complain should be taken seriously and investigated properly. Anxiety and emotional causes for any symptom should be considered only after exclusion of all other medical problems that can be the cause.

Shooting pain that goes down through the arm to the hand and fingers is more likely to be due to nerve or nerve root compression.

This can be caused by:
Irritation of the nerve inside a joint in cases of arthritis.
Osteophytes which are bony outgrowths in the vertebral bodies that can press on the nerves while they go out of the spinal canal.
Herniated disc (Disc prolapse).
Carpal tunnel syndrome.
Thoracic outlet syndrome.

Muscle stain and weakens associated with these conditions results in muscle pain that may be felt in the area of he affected muscle including the chest, shoulder, arm, and the hand.

Nerve compression is usually associated with numbness and parasthesia.

You need to be examined by your doctor for proper management. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

|