Question: Throat tightness/chest ache

sierra123 - Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:25 pm

I have had a reoccuring tightness in my throat that radiates to the back of my chest. I feel as if someone is choking me. My back aches constantly from dry coughing. I have had this for 3 months now and have gotten similar sensations in the past, but not to this degree. Recently, I had a doctor check me for asthma, had a blood test for my thyroid and a chest xray. Everything came back normal. I had medication for a cough, infection, and sinus and nothing has worked. Is there something they could be missing? Should I ask for a specific test. I know this is not just in my head as my chest/back pain is persistent.

sierra123 - Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:29 pm

I should also add that I am 29, have a 7 month and 23 month old, so I am completely exhausted all the time. My throat is sensitive to the touch and sometimes have mild heart palpitations.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:18 pm

User avatar Dear sierra123,

The complaints you have described are more likely to be due to sore throat.

Most cases of sore throat are due to viral infection e. g. as part of flu and cold attack. Bacterial infections on the other hand represent a smaller number of cases. Usually there are other associated symptoms and signs that can point to the possible causative agent.

Post nasal discharge and chronic sinusitis are associated with recurrent sore throat

If you suffer from recurring sore throats, it's also possible that your toothbrush needs to be changed as it may transmit the infection for you after you have recovered from your first attack.

Experts says that a sore throat that lasts for longer than a week is often caused by allergies, or exposure to humidity, smoking, irritation from heating and cooling systems. Repeated pharyngitis can also happen seasonally or all year long most commonly due to allergies and in this case usually the allergic individual wake up early in the morning with sore throat.

A sore throat that doesn’t improve or repeated with a short period of time should be investigated properly. By complete history and proper examination your physician can evaluate the cause of this recurrent sore throat and recommend treatment.

|