News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Worried young adult

NightOwl_ - Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:40 am

Hello all. I'm a 21 year old male EMT in the Pacific Northwest with a couple of questions for anyone willing to shed some light for me. For the past two weeks I have been having an increasingly more painful dull pain in the right side of my chest, a few inches above the nipple.

The best way I know how to thoroughly describe it is to go through the acronyms in my head on an incidient, so bear with me here.

Onset : I haven't done anything to cause the pain that I can recall.

Provocation : A deep breath can increase the pain, although it seems random.

Quality of pain : It's a dull pain, about the size of a golf ball, if not a little bigger.

Radiation : The pain doesn't radiate anywhere, although I have had a stiff neck for about the same amount of time now. I don't see how that could be relevant, though.

Signs/Symptoms : I don't have a mark where the pain resides, and don't seem to have any other symptoms

Time : The pain came on gradually, so I have no idea how long this has been bothering me. My guess is two weeks.

The only real medical history that I have would be a laminectomy about 5 years ago for a staph infection on my spinal cord. Sounds creepy I know, but I recovered fully (thanks to the folks at Harborview Medical Center).

Anyhoo, thanks for any help or advice you can offer.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:23 am

User avatar Hi NightOwl_,
I would be more inclined to consider your chest and neck pain to be associated more so muscular in origin since the pain appears to increase with inspiration. Although on occasion, coronary disorders and gallbladder dysfunction may also present with these symptoms. If you do not have any increased risk factors for coronary disease, for example, high blood pressure, high cholesterol/triglyceride levels or first degree relatives with heart disease, etc., then I would most likely not consider this the cause. Also generally with gallbladder dysfunction symptoms present themselves after for instance, a fatty meal. Diagnostic studies such as a xray, CT scan should be able to determine if the chest pain is actually a radiation from your neck and identify the cause. I would suggest an evaluation by your physician.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 NightOwl_ - Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:37 am

My BP has always been a textbook perfect at 124/76, so no hypertension. My family has no history of cardiac problems. If they did, I would have walked into the emergency room. I have begun to notice some functionality issues with my right shoulder. I heard about how gall bladder cancer can cause a radiation in the right shoulder, but c'mon what're the odds of that, honestly?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:36 am

User avatar Hi NightOwl_,
Gallbladder dysfunction or disease unrelated to cancer, but related to a "sluggish" gallbladder or stones may also causes pain in the rt shoulder and usually presents with symptoms after a fatty meal.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here